Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need matching wheels for my SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Cxracer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need matching wheels for my SC

I negotiated a 81 SC Targa into our house purchase about 2 years ago (long story). Now that I have got a lot of the house projects out of the way I want to devote some of my time this winter to getting it tuned up and smogged (I'm in CA).

The tires are done with one going completely flat. The only problem is that the wheels don't match! (See pictures).

Obviously this is going to be more of a driver than a restoration car but I do want to have matching wheels so I wanted to know what the appropriate sizes, offsets and other factors I should be looking for as I hunt up a good set of used wheels.

In some ways I wouldn't mind finding a match to the BBS gold mesh wheels on the front as they feel appropriate to the era of this car (something someone would have upgraded to in the 80s) but maybe finding a match to the Fuchs on the back would retain more over all value to the car if I ever sell it?

At this point I don't even really know what I should be looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since getting the rest of the car fixed up would be much easier if I can actually roll it around.
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I would totally go with the fuchs.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Cxracer
2nd Gear

Thanks, definitely on the lookout. Looks like the wheel size on the car currently is 16". I think that is +1 over stock.

So if someone could tell me proper offset width and bolt pattern for 16" wheels on a SC I would appreciate it.

Or if this info is some where I can search, a hint where to look would be great too.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I may be mistaken but I think 16" Fuchs were a factory option on the SC
Old 11-14-2015, 10:03 PM
911Truther
Intermediate

would you consider selling the rear Fuchs
Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cxracer
I negotiated a 81 SC Targa into our house purchase about 2 years ago (long story). Now that I have got a lot of the house projects out of the way I want to devote some of my time this winter to getting it tuned up and smogged (I'm in CA).

The tires are done with one going completely flat. The only problem is that the wheels don't match! (See pictures).

Obviously this is going to be more of a driver than a restoration car but I do want to have matching wheels so I wanted to know what the appropriate sizes, offsets and other factors I should be looking for as I hunt up a good set of used wheels.

In some ways I wouldn't mind finding a match to the BBS gold mesh wheels on the front as they feel appropriate to the era of this car (something someone would have upgraded to in the 80s) but maybe finding a match to the Fuchs on the back would retain more over all value to the car if I ever sell it?

At this point I don't even really know what I should be looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since getting the rest of the car fixed up would be much easier if I can actually roll it around.
I'm not an expert but I have books, so I can pretend to be an expert. According to the Porsche 911 Red Book of Specs, etc. by Patrick Paternie and Peter Bodensteiner:

Standard Eq front wheels, tires: 6J x 15, 185/70VR15
Standard Eq rear wheels, tires: 7J x 15, 215/60VR15

Optional Eq front wheels, tires: 6J x 16, 205/55VR16
Optional Eq rear wheels, tires: 7J x 16, 225/50VR16

The Porsche Family Tree by PCA, edited by Drayton James says the same.

Porsche 911 also says: "ATS 'cookie-cutter' wheels were the standard base wheel."

And

"In 1982 back-centered wheels, in both ATS and Fuchs designs, were available."

And

"[Option] M395, Forged-alloy wheels: 6J x 15 with 205 tires front, 7J x 15 with 225 tires rear."

From this I am not completely sure which of these were Fuchs and which were ATS.

I also have an opinion. Regardless of being era-correct or original, I do not like the look of the gold mesh BBS wheels. When I was looking at 911 ads, I always shied away from these because I did not want to deal with the expense of getting back to original wheels.

In your situation, I would go for 16 inch Fuchs or if the 2 Fuchs you have are 15 inch and I wanted to save money, I would get two more 15 inch Fuchs.

My 2-cents. . .
Old 11-16-2015, 10:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

look for 6 by 16 Fuchs or 7 by 16 Fuchs , you will be fine , do NOT give up the Fuchs or you will regret it.

Go to the Porsche website and look up the part numbers in the parts section. it will be stamped right on the wheel.

They are always available in Hershey.

Quick Reply: Need matching wheels for my SC