Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can only keep one: '70 911T vs. 997 C4S. Advise needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
If you won't ever get to it sell it. I love my old cars but am considering selling two of them because they need attention I won't give them in the near future.

You sound young enough that you aren't yet into your earning curve. My income more than doubled between 30 and 40 years old. At 30 I might have bought a project car for cheap that was going to take me 5 years to get on it's feet and done. Now, at 45, I just opened my checkbook to buy a project 911. Then I sent it to a body guy and opened the checkbook again. When I get it home in a month or two I will do certain sorting of the car myself because I will always like to play with them. But the point is ten years from now if you want an old 911 maybe you will be able to just buy one, even if it costs more than buying one would cost today.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm early 30s, and in the middle of a career change, which will significantly change my financial position within a few years. I already know owning these cars is more passion than a rational decision, but at this point I think it's best to make a rational decision. Thanks for the advice and the extra push!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Reviving this thread, as my schedule has been incredibly busy. The reality is I will not have the time to correctly resurrect this piece of art in the foreseeable future, even as just a weekend driver, so I will be posting a thread in the classifieds in the coming weeks.

Nothing has changed since the start of this thread - I haven't touched the car since buying it. All information I have on the car is from the mouth of the previous owner, a trusted long time customer of our family business:

- Last driven to a wedding 20+ years ago, parked in his garage in running condition
- Supposedly Numbers Matching engine/trans (have not obtained a COA to verify)
- 8X,XXX original miles
- color change from green (most likely Irish) to white sometime in the 80s
- all original blue interior
- tool kit, jack, and original spare
- usual small crack in passenger side of dash
- front pan needs replacement, otherwise Very solid
- NO A/C, not sure if it was removed or never had it
- previous owner had original fuel tank refinished
- previous owner (in his 70s) had a friend tinker with it in his spare time to try to get it running again. supposedly broke a float on one of the Zenith carbs. have not actually looked to verify myself
- car rolled freely onto the flatbed when I had it transported (I personally coasted it on). It has been stored indoors this entire time, however the rear brakes have since locked, hence the picture in post #1 on the wheel dollies

I've added some more pictures below, some from the previous owner's garage, some after being transported to my parents garage. more pictures of interior, engine bay, and front pan will be added. if you have any specific requests, let me know and i'll do my best to get them. car located in Millbrook, NY.

based on recent sales both on this site and Pelican, I will be asking $34k or best reasonable offer.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Blue interior?

Sent you a PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:25 AM
Rod_Ez
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, considering that you posted 4 pictures of the 911T and only one of the other one, I think you already made up your mind.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM
bmwfan328
Racer

Originally Posted by Rod_Ez
Well, considering that you posted 4 pictures of the 911T and only one of the other one, I think you already made up your mind.
Well, I am posting in the 911 forum, and figured no one would give a hoot what my 997 looked like. My intention was to give a visual (albeit a bit limited since those were the only pictures I had on my phone) of the condition of the T, and the project I would be getting into if I was to keep it.

This thread was started almost two years ago. A combination of life just getting in the way, and subconsciously not wanting to let the T go kept me from actually selling it. However, I just don't have the time to enjoy getting it back on the road, so it would be better off with someone who does.

Quick Reply: Can only keep one: '70 911T vs. 997 C4S. Advise needed!