Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shipping a Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:01 AM
peterazad
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a Car

Can any one explain the difference between broker and individual companies shipping? Which one is best? Am trying to ship through broker company in florida. suggest me ideas.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Racer

Brokers don't own trucks. They get you to sign a contract and then the sell the contract to someone who actually owns a truck.

Your very first question should be "Do you actually own a truck?"

Here's an article I wrote all about this last year.

Richard Newton
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
AngelsTransport
Former Vendor

I would be happy to explain it. Angels Moving Autos is a broker. AN HONEST AND RELIABLE broker. We have spent 12 years and over 50K on our software system building up a carrier network of independently owned enclosed carriers. The carriers we work with own their trucks, and we contract work for them and handle all aspects of customer service so they can focus on transporting cars. There are ALOT of crooked brokers in this business, and ALOT of awful carriers in this business. Getting connected to a quality carrier that has the proper cargo insurance is the most important part of what you need! As a broker, I am able to connect you with a carrier that will have your vehicle picked up within 5 days of placement of the order. If you are able to contract with a carrier directly, you are bypassing the middle man, the broker. Having been in the industry for 12 years, we’ve learned that not everything is as is seems. Working with a broker means you have a personal advocate to ensure that the entire process runs smoothly. Since we've built relationships with these carriers and create business for them, they have a vested interest in making sure your vehicle arrives safely. Every stage is monitored closely by our staff, and you are kept notified every step of the way.

This past month we shipped 3 Rennlist customers cars. I can provide you their contact information via email. Please provide us with your name and email address and I will send that over!

Dina - Owner
Angels Moving Autos
Old 11-04-2015, 02:04 AM
peterazad
Cruisin'

thanks for your useful information
Old 11-04-2015, 05:31 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dina,

If a Rennlister wanted to use your services, how are we able to verify the shipping company you choose has a proper Cargo policy, is current and with proper limits?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Racer

You want to get the insurance policy from the insurance company. Do not accept an insurance policy document from the trucking company. A good company will provide you with the name of their insurance company.

You want to know about the cargo policy - not the liability policy.

Richard Newton
Old 11-06-2015, 10:58 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Why not use or at least get estimate from the Orange colored trucks advertised on TV during car races?
I used them to ship Porche and cost was competitive to no name companies and the care the driver exhibited unloading the car was surprising.
I shipped a GT3 from Ohio to the Philly area for $1000ish.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:22 PM
TJC
6th Gear

Default Just had my car shipped

Originally Posted by peterazad
Can any one explain the difference between broker and individual companies shipping? Which one is best? Am trying to ship through broker company in florida. suggest me ideas.
I just had my 911 shipped from Rochester NY to Jax Fl. I thought (got caught thinking) my quote to ship was a total of $775 (originally quoted rate). I paid $175.00 upfront to get the ball rolling...and a possible timeline of having my car picked up within a week. When the guy called to say he had a truck, he "reminded me" to have the $775.00 ready for the driver in cash or cashiers check. I said, "you mean the $600.00 difference?"...He said "No, that is my broker fee as is explained in the contract". I read contracts for a living, and it was very well written. Regardless, I felt I got hit for an extra $175.00. Car was shipped as planned with no issues though...Advice would be to just ask upfront. TC
Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sage advice from above. I would add, as someone who got burned by the Trucking Company from FL to CA on my BMW sedan.
  • Do NOT receive your vehicle at Night/Dusk etc. NO exceptions
  • Have whoever is signing the shipping/packing/bill of laden, take NUMEROUS up close pics.
  • Make sure it is YOU who receive the vehicle.
  • Ask Trucking Company: 1) how many times on it's journey will it be "dropped" at depo's and picked up again by another trucker. 2) Proof of Insurance from Insurance Carrier - call them. 3) What happens if you refuse to sign for vehicle due to damage? Once your signature (or ANYONE'S) hits the paper, they are released NO MATTER what you sign/add/specify (see below)

My saga. the doors were "creased/damaged" at lower 1/3 of the door. The trucking company waited 1 1/2 days (they knew I had to leave town), when they were only 60 Miles away, then delivered a black car at 10PM at night. All the time telling me the trucker is getting closer. My wife wanted to call my brother in law to come over, but the trucker NOW can't wait 15 minutes. Sign for it or it's gone.

At 7am., my wife phones me in horror. The trucking co. gave me the middle finger and said my wife did it after delivery. Their Ins. Company was a Broker who consisted of a non-English speaking person. Their Ins. Underwriter looked at the signature on the BOL, and said, sue us, no noted damage.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:30 AM
Blake Anderson
6th Gear

Forwarders take care of the inter-country movement of cargo - from one country in the world to another (through sea or air) by acting as the middlemen between the shipping lines/airlines and the importer/exporter.
Custom brokers act as agents of importers/exporters with the objective of using their expertise in smooth clearance of cargo at the customs - export and import. Clearance is a very technical and highly regulated activity (for obvious reasons), and hence importers/exporters (even if their nation allows them to) like to let the experts handle.

There is no overlap as far as the definitions go. But like John and Leslie commented, there are firms which offer both services. But mostly, these firms will have separate teams handling these two activities - which means there is definite management overlap, but not functional.

Logistics wise, forwarders will talk to shipping liners and airlines to book space, to receive and load cargo. They will also coordinate with partner agents in other countries. They might also link up with trucking firms for inland haulage. And they talk to custom brokers (a separate team in their firm or a different broker appointed by the importer/exporter) for documentation and cargo handover.

Quick Reply: Shipping a Car