Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seeking last minute advice on diy oil return tube replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 PM
RK250
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking last minute advice on diy oil return tube replacement.

Hello Rennlisters,
First time post and I seek any last minute advice on an oil return tube replacement project for our '87 911 cab.
I've got oem expandable tubes, plan to do all 4. Also have good quality snap ring pliers, tube of dielectric grease, 1" hose clamps.
I'll drain oil in the engine sump, crawl under and squish original tubes and hope they come off without manhandling.
According to 101 Projects as well as reading up on previous posts, I'll lube the seals, thinner tube toward the heads, position tube properly(with hopes the seals squirm in place nice-nice), grip the areas where the hose clamp becomes a 'handle' and then get the snap ring in the groove.
In concept I have a good idea of how it's supposed to properly go down. If anyone can offer a last minute tip, I'd appreciate it.
I'll give myself the first tip and 'upon completion, don't forget to replace the drained oil!'
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a hell of a time expanding the tubes so they would seat. Maybe it's because lack of lateral arm strength due to age and rotator cuffs, so I devised this patented expander comprising of two large open wrenches that slip snugly around the tubes, a piece of wood cut to about 2" shorter than the distance between the tube seats, some large vice grips for additional leverage and some wire to hold the wood in place while working on your back underneath the car.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Johan
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2015, 09:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Uwon
I had a hell of a time expanding the tubes so they would seat. Maybe it's because lack of lateral arm strength due to age and rotator cuffs, so I devised this patented expander comprising of two large open wrenches that slip snugly around the tubes, a piece of wood cut to about 2" shorter than the distance between the tube seats, some large vice grips for additional leverage and some wire to hold the wood in place while working on your back underneath the car.

Awesome! Mother of invention and all that.

Andreas
Old 10-29-2015, 12:46 PM
RK250
3rd Gear

Indeed Andreas. Necessity equals invention!
For Johan, even with the hose clamps as your handles, it is still a chore separating the tubes enough to fit the circlip? I suppose I can try by hand power and if unsuccessful, duplicate a H shaped spreader like yours. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Once the o-ring ends are seated home in the cavity, the tubes will stay in place quite securely and will not pop out. It is relatively easy to slide the circlip home into the groove with the proper pliers. Hope that I answered your question.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l#post12204208
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
RK250
3rd Gear

Well Rennlisters, I'd be lying if I stated this was an easy task. Not complicated but the skinny old guy has to say, physical. That said, if I had to do it again, replacing the oil return tubes would be far less difficult.
Note: I did not have enough room between engine and manifolds to get pliers on the snap ring so I had to undo and get it on the fatter end. What then happened was the snap ring stretched a little much and ended up being loose. Safety wiring through the holes snugged it up and isn't concerning me at all. DIY without a lift can be done but kind of a pain.
Test drove, sat overnight, no leaks, done. Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: Seeking last minute advice on diy oil return tube replacement.