Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinions Please 911 v. 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

What is your intended use for the turbo? Will you use it as a daily, or do you have a daily and want a change of pace? If your 3.2 Carrera is a daily, a 996tt is an even better daily driver. Lots more comfort and lots more power. It doesn't require as much concentration or effort to drive the 996 as the 3.2, but you will need to really pay attention as its limits are much, much higher and will get you into trouble really fast. Miles go by quickly and easily in the 996.

If you are looking for a special weekend driver, both fit the bill, but I think I would keep the 3.2 Carrera. While you can haul *** with the 996tt over the weekend, the 3.2 requires a more deft hand to master. Also, with the 3.2, it is more fun to drive a "slow" car fast than a fast car slow. The 3.2 is a great car that you can wind out, so is a 996tt. The difference is if you wind out the 996tt, you will be in triple digit speeds quickly. If you tone down your driving in the turbo, it is not as fun.

FWIW, I have a modded 996tt and a 77 930. Both are wonderful cars and a blast to drive. I find myself driving the 996tt much more than the 930. However, I have a 987.1 Boxster along with the two turbos, and I drive that car the most. To me, it is the most fun. As I said before, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:23 AM
dhc3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: all the above comments are spot on. I own an 87 with a very aggressive street suspension. Originally a DD, has seen many track days, lots of cross country trips, and now returned to weekend use. Owned it for 17 years. Couple years ago bought a TT, kept it stock, and have used it as a DD with a few track days just for fun.
Comparing the two cars is apples and oranges, as I said all the above comments will tell you all you need to know about experiences with these cars. Lots of good info on Rennlist!
Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Jeff986
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually was in a similar situation. Two years ago I was in the market for either a really clean Carrera/SC or a 996 TT. The price delta was pretty inconsequential. About $40-$50k for the 996TT vs. $30-$40k for the Carrera/SC. The price difference gets even more minimal when you consider that EVERY $35k Carrera/SC that I found needed $10k worth of work (I am picky) and most 996 TTs that I looked at were low miles (20k miles) perfect cars. Looks are subjective, but to me nothing looks better than a Carrera/SC lowered and cornerbalanced on 7in/8in Fuchs. NOTHING. Also, I am the owner of a very nicely set up 986, so the interior of the 996 felt less special since its essentially the same (dated) interior on my Boxster.

I did my home work and basically drove everything from a 69S with a 3.2 to a new 991. Buying a 911 is a very personal sort of thing. My dad loved the usability and drive ability (not to mention brutal straight line speed of is X51 996. My friend loves the rawness, and somewhat unhinged feel (LOADS of fun), of his 69S with the 3.2.

The 996TT was great to drive but still felt like my Boxster, except with the afterburners turned up to 11. Also, as cars get faster and faster I realized that my next daily driver might be almost as quick as a stock 996TT. The 996 TT was a fantastic car; however the question I kept asking myself was, "What was I looking for in a 911?"

This brings me back to the personal choice. I wanted fun, easy to work on myself, fast, challenging, and above all an engaging drive. There are many fast cars out there. There aren't many cars that can thrill the way a well set up Carrera/SC can.

I ended up getting an SC in a rare color (Hellblau) with factory sports seats, and hit the long steep, slippery slope. I haven't regretted it or looked back since. Basically, drive every car you can get your hands on and see which one "speaks" to you.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Madturk
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

The ultimate thing would be that 996tt engine in a light weight 911 or a 964.
I'd keep your car
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

again, many thanks for the comments. I relate to the comment "it's more fun to drive a "slow" car fast than a fast car slow." I predict I might get frustrated with a TT, I am not a track guy. I love the feel and rawness of the 3.2. I would not have either of these as daily drivers. I live in a congested traffic area with a lot of stop and go. So when I take the Porsches (should mention I also have a 2000 986) out its long back roads and some turnpike so I can get them up to 90-100 (not for extended periods). And the 986 is a blast to drive, I love the mid engine feel and the 2.7L engine, it will be getting a Brombacher Sport Muffler next Spring, should sound great. I'll still need to find a TT in the area to drive to really get a sense of the car.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 76 911S and a 997 TT. While I love both cars, I would probably get rid of the TT first if I could only keep one car.
Don't get me wrong, straight line power never gets old, the amounts of torque while full throttle feels like a rocket is trapped to your back, but, its not as fun a drive as the 76. I can break my tail loose at very low speeds, it takes more driver engagement to maneuver, even at legal speeds. To me, that's the fun part. You could make a Turbo do the same, but it would do so at speeds that would brake your neck or send you to jail.
The other part that nobody has mentioned here is that I have found myself really enjoying wrenching on the 76. I was never much of a mechanic, but I have started learning, buying tools, and now I find myself doing many DIY weekend projects that not only are therapeutic for me, but also makes me more connected to the car. That is not something I can do on the Turbo because of its complexity.
Either way, we are all different, and those cars plug different needs. I hope you get a chance to drive a TT and decide what is best for you!
All the best.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
...Don't get me wrong, straight line power never gets old...
Yea it does. After a few weeks with the 996t you'll want more.

The 911 will always put a smile on your face.

No brainer.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Yea it does. After a few weeks with the 996t you'll want more.

The 911 will always put a smile on your face.

No brainer.
Well if it was my only car, perhaps it would get old. But since Im always hoping back and forth from my 190 HP 911 to my 570 HP tuned Turbo, im constantly being reminded of the Turbo's might.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:01 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you can only choose one...I'd choose the 996 Turbo and keep it for another 25 years...After that period all the things people are saying about the SC will apply to the Turbo..Time has a way of making any 911 "grow" on you. IMHO, they always get better each year.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If I already had a 986 in the garage I would definitely go with the Carrera. While they are very different cars, a 986 and a 996t just overlap too much. And neither is air cooled. Any true Porsche lover needs an air cooled car.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Only you can make this decision.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I have both, and could talk to you at length about the differences. You would not get bored with a TT, trust me. Every time you step on the gas and spool it up, the rush is almost "other worldly." It will do it in the wet too, without out even troubling you. It is a far better daily road car and a great road trip car. The engine sounds AMAZING, and let's not forget this is the car that started the modern 911 era as much as the 993 is the "last of the air-cooled cars." I do love mine! I do think the 996 TT's are very under valued as well. They get a bad wrap from the IMS issues the normally aspirated 996's had, but the TT's had no such issues. So value for money, and potential increase in value I think the 996 is a good buy....the air-cooled cars have already risen a lot....while they may not go down, they do not have a lot of head room vs an undervalued car like a 996TT.

The Carrera is a different animal. It is not as quiet, not as smooth, has no ABS, not power steering, and is FAR slower! That said.....the Carrera is very old school. The sound is very different, and though it does not have the kick in the pants that the TT has, it has a very unique sound that is addicting. It handles and rides a lot like a 60's 911 (mine is an 89, last of the air cooler/torsion bar cars). There is a distinct feeling when driving it that you are hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting the same things drivers of the early 911 race cars did. They are in many ways a more powerful 356 in terms of the feel, handling, etc. The heating and ventilation controls are completely goofy.....and yet charming in a teutonic way. It all depends on what you want, and what you want it for.

If you lived near me I would take you for a ride in both. Also, all that said....I would sell my very nice TT to get another air-cooled car. That is ONLY because the one I have I cannot play with much to make it "my own version of a 911" because it is a 25th Anniversary Car. If I find a nice 3.2 or 964 I will swap out the TT for it. That said.....every time I drive it and spool it up the grin and rush is almost "other worldly," and I am reminded I get to drive one of the best Super Cars ever built, and an icon....it is a Porsche 911 Turbo!
Old 11-11-2015, 06:48 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

TO:
DUC hunter, thank you for the insights, interesting that you might unload the TT for an air-cooled, a 3.2 or a 964. what mods would you partake in?

Quick Reply: Opinions Please 911 v. 996 Turbo