911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's Original?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Original?

There is no accepted definition of originality. Every marque defines it differently. Here's an article I recently wrote comparing the judging of Corvettes, Porsches and Ferraris.

The judging of originality is very different for each marque.

Richard Newton
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Good article especially re: other marque judging, although not comprehensive of PCA judging in my opinion. There is only 1 (of 3) judging group that looks for the best car when compared to others, the other 2 groups compare to a standard.

Plus the standard for originality is not whether a reproduction part is close to the "as-delivered" part, it is whether a judge can determine (in 5 mins) that a part is not original. Maybe a nuance but I think an important one.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Plus the standard for originality is not whether a reproduction part is close to the "as-delivered" part, it is whether a judge can determine (in 5 mins) that a part is not original. Maybe a nuance but I think an important one.
While what you said is true from a judging standpoint, just because a judge fails to notice a non-original part doesn't make that part original. The standard is still the standard.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original vs repro part thing is really complicated. I've been involved in judging with both Corvette and Porsches. The Senior Corvette judges have an amazing knowledge base and lots of data to back all it up. That said I've seen incredible arguments of the originality of a given part. Some of the repops are really good.

The data base for Porsche (PCA) is not as great and the judges aren't as well trained. PCA originality is less well defined which actually makes the judging much easier. There is much less discussion about the number of spot welds on a given part.

Corvette judging is usually a four hour process. PCA is about 20 minutes. I have no clue how long it takes to judge a Ferrari.

Richard Newton

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's Original?