Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help - Polo Red or Metallic Green for backdate resale value

Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help - Polo Red or Metallic Green for backdate resale value

Hi All

I'm under pressure to pick the colour for my backdate project. Chosing a colour is not as easy as I thought it would be - something I think a few others of you have struggled with too.

My car is a 1980 SC which was originally black. It is being backdated to a 1970 2.2 along with the requisite narrow rear arches and opening quarterlights etc etc.

I've narrowed it down to a choice of Polo Red or Metallic Green. Before you all shout at me - I think I know that Polo Red wasn't quite a factory option in 1970 but prefer it the alternative reds from 1970.

So, anyway I was set on Polo Red being a safe choice which should appeal to a wide range of prospective buyers somewhere down the line. My aim is to run the car for a short while then sell it on to fund another project. So I don't need to sell fast but would like to make a decent price. The car will be sold in the UK.

But now I'm thinking I might have gone a bit too conservative. I love green cars so I might be letting my heart get in the way if I go down the green route.

Any views or advice would be most welcome!!!
Unless of course it just confuses me even more!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This:
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Irish green
Old 10-05-2015, 07:33 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Not sure this will be a money maker for you, but that is another discussion as I have not a clue as to the UK market. But, I agree with the above, Irish Green.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 PM
993 770
Pro

OP- i feel your pain! Personally, my decision is extremely difficult to make for my own preferences. I know some people don't like metallic colors as they aren't period correct, but i do, so sorry y'all! For example, I have gone from Gulf Orange to Slate Grey to Stone grey to Iris Blue to Meteor Grey and all the way back to the beginning more than once! I am having a couple of samples painted and will hopefully have a decision made soon!

As someone who is obviously struggling with this very decision, here is my thought process...

First off... its a backdate! This will limit your pool of potential buyers when its time to sell. You will only want to sell it sooner if your already thinking of painting it for "the next guy"

I strongly believe you should paint it what you want and build the car YOU want. If/When you want to sell and this market holds up, you probably won't have an issue selling it no matter what the color. Green may even add more value. Its not a concourse car and it will never be "original" either way. If you do the work at a high level and the mechanicals are sound, you should be able to find a buyer no matter the color.

Good luck to you on your project and pics are a requirement!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM
MDamen
Pro

Blood orange (Tangerine) or Viper Green.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Polo Red is like the Guards Red of SWB cars. I own a Polo Red 67 that was repainted blue metalic. I wouldn't have bought it if it was red.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Pick the color you like- it's your money. Your doing a backdate, nothing about car will be original.
Phil
Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any non-metallic green.

You say you are backdating to a 2.2l motor? Why?
Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

Slate grey with white stripes .. :0
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
overthehorizon
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

no - sorry for the confusion - not backdating the engine at all - leaving it with the 3.0 sc.
thanks for the support 993 770, i thought about slate grey myself but over thelast few months I've seen plenty of backdates aiming for the steve mcqueen look from the Le Mans film. And there's something about slate grey that doesn't quite appeal in certain lights. but we're all different.
i still have a handful of more days to make up my mind....
Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 01:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

back dating the car will weed out alot of prospective buyers anyhow.. Especially if you perform a color change.
So since you are going to take a loss on resale you might as well paint it the color you want.

Red sucks. Green is nice. Conda green or irish green etc..

Personally, I would keep it a SC and black. I would polish the window trim and delete the impact bumpers. Remove rockers. Expose oil lines.
Give it some stance, paint the fuchs a la' RSR and install decent seats with a prototypo wheel.
Resale would remain decent and the car would look fantastic.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Something 70,s if you are doing a back date eg Gulf Orange ,signal yellow , viper green ,Mexican Blue etc ..........Something wild
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
back dating the car will weed out alot of prospective buyers anyhow.. Especially if you perform a color change. So since you are going to take a loss on resale you might as well paint it the color you want. Red sucks. Green is nice. Conda green or irish green etc.. Personally, I would keep it a SC and black. I would polish the window trim and delete the impact bumpers. Remove rockers. Expose oil lines. Give it some stance, paint the fuchs a la' RSR and install decent seats with a prototypo wheel. Resale would remain decent and the car would look fantastic.
Ha, Mark's car is your (correct) answer for everything.

Green card are rad though and I'd paint it either way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - Polo Red or Metallic Green for backdate resale value