Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

test drove 86 911 wide body cabriolet (red)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 10:20 PM
adam...
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question test drove 86 911 wide body cabriolet (red)

I test drove a very pretty Porsche today. The dealer even let me take it out by myself without asking for a copy of my license. It was a very fun experience except for when it almost left me stranded. After the car warmed (but not before that) up it began to studder and misfire terribly. Anything over 3000 rpm and it was like a total engine shutdown (still had half a tank of gas). The guy said "no problem, just needs its 60,000 mile checkup". It also had some oil on the lower portion of the engine.
Anyway, I had a couple of questions. While slowing to a stop (5-10 mph) I had the clutch in and was trying to get it into first gear to accelerate after the stop sign. Everytime I tried this, first gear would grind horribly. The only way for this not to happen was if I was completely stopped. Is this normal for the 915 transmission?
Also, finding the next gear in the transmission was not very obvious. There was no distinct engagement. I think I have read that this is normal but how improved is this on the G50?

Sorry this was so long but I need to learn as much as possible for next year's purchase.
A small aside: while I was driving another porsche driver was coming from the opposite direction and gave me "nice car" wave. Awesome...

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-10-2001, 01:03 AM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

Hello Adam!

I am a little curious, was the car you tested a "Factory" Turbo-Look car or just a converted narrow body?

It sounds like the car you test drove needs a little more “attention” than a 60,000 mile servicing... I have over 154,000 fun-filled miles on my 3.2 and it has never mis-fired like that!

Also, it sounds like the first gear syncro is out... My tranny down shifts just fine from 2nd to 1st up to around 15-20mph with no problems...(I do "blip" the throttle to help match the the engine/tranny rpms)

Hope this helps!

Paul '84 Factory Turbo-Look cpe
Old 07-10-2001, 01:58 AM
Greg-slant/cab
Advanced

Adam....The shifting you describe might be a little excessive. But if you have never shifted a 915 you might be trying to force it just a little. Just like Paul said a little blip on the throttle and it slides right into first, mine does the same thing. The 915 takes a little getting used to.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:17 PM
adam...
AutoX

Paul,

The guy told me it was a factory wide body. I didn't look too far into it however as I knew I would not be purchasing the car (I'll have the money next spring; I'll never finance again...). My only goal was to get some basis for a comparison of other Porsches 84-89. That was the first one I have driven of that era. My next drive will hopefully be of a 87-89 with the G50.

Quick Reply: test drove 86 911 wide body cabriolet (red)