Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Stumble, no power after long idle (engine revs to 2k then falls to idle)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 PM
duncanjf
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 Stumble, no power after long idle (engine revs to 2k then falls to idle)

New, irregular problem. On 4 occasions after my car idles for about 3+ minutes (e.g., at a long traffic light) it stumbles badly when I pull away. It will rev to 2000 RPM then fall back to idle. This process repeats (2k -> idle) until I hold the throttle down and I succeed in getting the engine above 3000 RPM. Then it drives perfectly again. It has only happened when the engine is warm, not necessarily hot (90oC).

This has happened 4 times in the past 300 miles and is very disconcerting when I start across an intersection.

The car is an '86 3.2 with 71k. I've replaced plugs, cap and rotor; checked for vacuum leaks; and adjusted valves. First thoughts are bad sensor (temp or speed) or corroded connector in the DME system (it's been a wet year in Washington).

Before digging it too far, I'm looking for suggestions from others who may have experience similar problems.

Thanks,
-John
Old 09-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

You may have water/moisture in the DME unit. Hopefully you don't have
a cab/Targa which would confirm this. Check/replace the DME relay
and check the fuel pressure. Also, make sure that the spark from the
coil wire jumps about 1". Bridge the temp sensor with a paper clip
to eliminate any possible connection problems with it, after the
engine is warm.

Good Luck
Loren
'88 3.2

Quick Reply: 3.2 Stumble, no power after long idle (engine revs to 2k then falls to idle)