Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Curious about performance of aftermarket Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 PM
1979 SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about performance of aftermarket Mufflers

Just curious if anyone has a thought on the benefits of changing your muffler and exhaust to an aftermarket (Fabspeed perhaps?) system.

What is the cost and the benefits? Is it worth it?

I drive a 1979 SC and wondering how performance would change by doing something like this. It mostly aesthetic, i.e. look and exhaust note or is there more zip to be had off the line?

Thanks for any input on the matter. Cheers!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Performance from a muffler? Not. Headers and /or cat bypass will free up things a bit. Muffler will change sound. Car I picked up has fabspeed rear muffler and cat bypass. I think it sounds pretty cool. Not loud at all... To me.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Spy, what are you gonna do at smog time with no cat?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979 SC
Just curious if anyone has a thought on the benefits of changing your muffler and exhaust to an aftermarket (Fabspeed perhaps?) system.

What is the cost and the benefits? Is it worth it?

I drive a 1979 SC and wondering how performance would change by doing something like this. It mostly aesthetic, i.e. look and exhaust note or is there more zip to be had off the line?

Thanks for any input on the matter. Cheers!
Changing mufflers on a stock SC exhaust system yields mainly more sound; the power gains are quite modest and hardly noticeable.

The best performance upgrade for an SC is to install SSI heat exchangers and a GOOD dual-inlet sport muffler such as a Dansk. That gives you an instant 20-22 BHP bump and much improved throttle response. Remember though, this will eliminate the cat so it may not be smog compliant in your locale.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Changing mufflers on a stock SC exhaust system yields mainly more sound; the power gains are quite modest and hardly noticeable.

The best performance upgrade for an SC is to install SSI heat exchangers and a GOOD dual-inlet sport muffler such as a Dansk. That gives you an instant 20-22 BHP bump and much improved throttle response. Remember though, this will eliminate the cat so it may not be smog compliant in your locale.
Don't forget that this set up also removes some weight from the tail of the car - always a good thing on these cars!
I have the setup Steve describes (except single outlet Dansk) and have been very happy with it.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Spy, what are you gonna do at smog time with no cat?
Switcharoo. Or register in Montana lol
Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't most states stop bothering with emissions checks past 25 years?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

The best performance upgrade for an SC is to install SSI heat exchangers and a GOOD dual-inlet sport muffler such as a Dansk.
Mind if I ask how much that comes to, including parts and labor?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Mind if I ask how much that comes to, including parts and labor?
Just under $3,000 for the parts, no idea on labor. Some oil lines have to be changed out going to the SSIs, as the right-side header piping goes through the stock oil line position.

I bet it could be done in 2-3 hours at a shop, depending on corrosion.

Edit: Pelican has the headers for about $2,000, then add some for the muffler and oil lines and you'll be pushing $3,000.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
Don't most states stop bothering with emissions checks past 25 years?
Yes but unfortunately not here in CA (most counties at least).
Old 08-21-2015, 07:24 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't mind losing heat, going to straight headers vs SSI will reduce cost... the SSI still includes a heat exchanger.

Rusted exhaust studs notwithstanding, this is a simple bolt-on bolt-off job. A reasonably competent weekend mechanic can do it in a couple hours.

But keep all your original parts.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:35 PM
17yrsWith930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
I was wondering if your answer applies to the 3.2 Carrera also? I have an '85 and am investigating exhaust mods. Are the SSIs better than my 1985 factory heat exchangers? Will changing the muffler from stock mainly change the sound and not power/torque? My plan is to couple the exhaust change(s) with a chip change too.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 17yrsWith930
Steve,
I was wondering if your answer applies to the 3.2 Carrera also? I have an '85 and am investigating exhaust mods. Are the SSIs better than my 1985 factory heat exchangers? Will changing the muffler from stock mainly change the sound and not power/torque? My plan is to couple the exhaust change(s) with a chip change too.
Thanks,
Mark
Not so much. The Carrera came with a better system from the factory mainly by virtue of larger primary pipes: 38mm SC vs 42mm Carrera.

SSI's, together with a GOOD sport muffler and an appropriate chip will outperform the OEM stuff, but not as much as on an SC engine.

JMHO, but the SSI system as above sounds a LOT better, too.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not so much. The Carrera came with a better system from the factory mainly by virtue of larger primary pipes: 38mm SC vs 42mm Carrera.

SSI's, together with a GOOD sport muffler and an appropriate chip will outperform the OEM stuff, but not as much as on an SC engine.

JMHO, but the SSI system as above sounds a LOT better, too.
Wish I had read this before sinking a few g's into my RarlyL8 setup! Don't get me wrong... I love it... but headers with M&K sport muffler and steve wong chip and it's not much faster. Sounds faster lol. I also have 12 new exhaust studs because of it... but I'm now longing for a 3.4 build. More power is never enough power. I should have sunk that money into suspension instead.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM
17yrsWith930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks !

Steve,
Thank you for your help !
Mark

Quick Reply: Curious about performance of aftermarket Mufflers