Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Couple of simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of simple questions

-(Looking at 86's') Why is it that some cars have different rear color turn-signal markers. I.E. orange v red? Both non-Euro versions.

-Why is it that some have dual exhaust, L&R sides or only left side?

-What advantage do turbo tie-rods give?

-Not considering the drivers ability, why is it that some 915's have a clutch replacement in the mid 50's miles while some last 100k/30 years?? For example, an 86' with new clutch at 56k, or same year, different car, at 100k no clutch replacement??? What gives?

-When/how often should and a mid-80's engine be dropped for any "work" or re-seal????? Should 100k with no clutch replacement or engine-drop scare me for from buying a car????
New clutch prices from indy shop so I can budget it??

Last edited by Fogdweller5; 08-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Folk change lens from whatever to whatever.

Dual exhaust is a non-factory performance/noise mod - some cars have the 2nd whole in rear apron cut but no 2nd exhaust pipe which indicated that at some stage it had it.

Turbo tie rods give a sharper steering feel.

If you use a car in city environment you wear the clutch & brakes a lot faster than out in open country. You can also wear the clutch down by abusive driving style.

Mine has done 108,000 miles, clutch was changed around 88k and engine is fine, never been done either so probably good for another 20,000 miles or so.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear lenses are interchangeable between ROW (yellow) and North America (red). some people like the look of yellow ones (which are illegal in the US).

2-out mufflers are popular, so some people cut a second hole in the valance for them. All cars came stock with 1-out mufflers.

Turbo tie rods can help with steering precision, but the difference is so slight that it is unimportant unless you're a serious track driver.

Clutch wear depends not on mileage, but how often and how well you shift. Driving long distances on a highway doesn't require much shifting, so you can't look at mileage. Some drivers have excellent shifting technique that results in low wear, while others never learned how to do it properly and they wear their clutches out quickly. Many factors going on here. The clutch in a street-driven car, driven by a competent driver, should last 100k or even more. Mine did.

Every engine/tranny/clutch is driven by different people and in different conditions, with different adherence to maintenance requirements, so there is no general rule. You do work as needed. 100k on the engine is not a concern, it's condition is. Valve guide wear is the main concern on the 3.2 engines. Some wore out at 50k or less, but most last well over 100k.

100k miles should not scare you away from a car. Assess its condition or have an expert do so, and THAT is what you should base your decision on, not the mileage.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Rubber centered clutch.

Quick Reply: Couple of simple questions