Need buying advice on Porsche 911 SC vs 3.2 vs 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015 | 10:41 PM
thisnameismine
7th Gear

I managed to drive a couple today:

an 87 3.2 129mi $43k
& an 89 964 125mi $49k

Overall the 87 was very well cared for, pampered. However I think I liked the feel and drive of the 964 a bit better.

Just some initial thoughts.
Old 08-09-2015 | 10:56 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

While we may be looking back on those prices with "why didn't I buy them all up then" hindsight, I've got to say we're in the Twilight Zone unless those cars have rebuilding/restoration/receipts at least equal to the asking prices.

Oh, and you don't want an AWD 964. There's no upside, unless you clearly plan to use it in the foulest of weather. Then it shines. But that was pretty much when they were either new (and those owners really didn't care how they were using the cars) or fully depreciated (and we really didn't care if they quit/crashed and left at the side of the road).
Old 08-09-2015 | 11:01 PM
thisnameismine
7th Gear

Originally Posted by race911
While we may be looking back on those prices with "why didn't I buy them all up then" hindsight, I've got to say we're in the Twilight Zone unless those cars have rebuilding/restoration/receipts at least equal to the asking prices.

Oh, and you don't want an AWD 964. There's no upside, unless you clearly plan to use it in the foulest of weather. Then it shines. But that was pretty much when they were either new (and those owners really didn't care how they were using the cars) or fully depreciated (and we really didn't care if they quit/crashed and left at the side of the road).
It was an AWD.

I think that 89 can be had cheaper.

The 87 had detailed history. That one will sell in the next two days if i don't want it but I will most likely take my time as per advice here. I'm seeing a couple more next week.
Old 08-10-2015 | 02:11 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

When it comes to 964 - C2 is usually 10% more expensive than C4 - post 92 models are more desirable and the most popular colour of the era was red - white - black (in that order), supply & demand of colour has a bearing on price. Also get to know the difference between genuine cup 1 wheels and replicas as difference could be 2k. 964 engines usually need a top end rebuild around 100k mark, a leak test will provide some indication. Mileage counter (sensor) on these cars are notorious for breaking down & owners are notorious for taking their time fixing them so make sure condition of interior matches the mileage (in absence of full history file). The 964 you mentioned seems a bit over priced compared to this one which has an unu$ual colour and sub 100k miles. Post a wanted ad in classified section.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...11-964-c4.html

If you happen to like Targa then this looks like a nice one

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-48-900-a.html

Last edited by Mondrian; 08-10-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Need buying advice on Porsche 911 SC vs 3.2 vs 964