Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

In the market for a 911 and I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM
minnesnowtan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for a 911 and I need some advice!

So i just got to the point in my life where i can start looking into my first Porsche . Ive owned a few sports cars in the past but nothing compared to a 911.

After much thought (mostly day dreaming during my grad studies) ive decided to focus on a 2002-2004 (I heard the 2001's have less desirable suspension) Porsche 911 turbo. It seems like like these cars are fairly reliable (esp with proper maintenance) and that now is a great time to buy from a cost perspective. Im looking for black, red, silver, grey exterior. 6speed, low miles.
From this post i was hoping to get some internal links on this website that talk about expectations (issues, maintenance schedules, reviews from owners, etc) from these beast's. Or any other advice you enthusiasts may have to help me with my search.

From what i have found it sounds like special attention should be looked at
1) inner edge of discs for corrosion, 2) nuts to exhaust and turbo corrosion, 3) AC pipes near driver side gets crushed by jacks, 4) get ECU read for no type 2 over revs, 5) rear wing issue, 6) leaky radiator tank

Im looking to spend around $40k and have found quite a few in that price range.

Here is the most recent one ive been drooling over . Im just not a big fan of the interior.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=231639946738

In advance, i appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you're in the market for a 996 Turbo. We've got a separate forum for those. We discuss here what are commonly known as the torsion bar chassis cars here, and specifically the non-turbos.

But since I've got a 996 Turbo in my fleet I'll answer a couple of things quickly.

First, I have zero idea what brain surgeon mentioned anything different on an '01 v. '02-'05 on the suspension.

They're reliable to a point. Anything pushing 15 years old is going to be in a condition reflective of its care over the years. There are a couple of mechanical issues, and they can be pricey repairs. It all comes down to a PPI from a shop who absolutely, positively knows this series of cars. Unlikely either a dealer or random Porsche shop.

As far as price, yes they're seemingly the fastest 911 going at the price point. I can't imagine buying one unless you've got a 25-30% of the purchase price cushion for whatever repairs/upgrades/mods you'll do in the first year or so.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
minnesnowtan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opps my bad. Ill repost to the proper forum!

Thanks for the post Ken!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us in this section have and focus on normally aspirated 911 Porsches. As such, you may receive more Turbo-related feedback in the Turbo section. I currently drive a 997.1 C4S and that is plenty enough power and performance for me. I've owned a '96 993 and a '99 996 and loved them both. You may find that you budget can get your a much "younger" base 911 than a Turbo-equipped one ... and still deliver a whole lot of great driving experiences while forgoing some of the possible mechanical issues on the MY prior to 2006.

Whichever 911 you buy, you will be rewarded with one heck of a driving experience. all the best with your search.

Quick Reply: In the market for a 911 and I need some advice!