Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1977 911... should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 911... should I buy it?

I'm looking at purchasing a '77 911. I undersand that the '77 can be a bit of an issues due to the 2.7 motor. The motor was rebuilt with the head stud problem rectified and now has approx 56k miles on it. Mechanically checks out ok... compression good, but has a minor leak. The car looks beautiful aside from a few minor paint chips and some internal trim that needs replacing.

I know there are a lot of strong opinons about the "middle year" 911's. I'd love to hear what some of you have to say about a '77. The car is in CA and the owner is asking $9k. I'm assuming I'd have to set aside a couple grand for upgrades and unexpected repairs.

If purchased, I'm going to use it as a weekend driver / track car. I'd also like to hear about some the best upgrades to implement. Right now, I'd plan on upgrading to the carrera tensioners, adding strut tower braces and installing stronger sway bars. Anything else?

Thanks from a porsche newbie.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the strongest opinions against the middle year 911s stems from the original motors. Most agree, however, then when "rectified" as you put it, the middle year 911s are great cars.

Who checked out your car? What did he/she think of it? If it was a proper rebuild, I would think this looks to be a pretty good car. IF the PPI was/is very thorough.

Can't help you on the mods...sorry.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

You may want to tell us who did the engine rebuild. That's crucial information. You want a very reputable shop to have done the work. That it held up for 56k is already a good sign but not sufficient.

By the way: Mileage on these cars is easily manipulated unless you have a seamless service record indicating mileage. So don't pay too much attention to it and just go with the current state the car is in.

The main thing that kept me from the mid 70 cars is the fact that they still have the narrow back fenders. I think it does look a bit starved, especially because it already has the newer style 5mph bumpers with it.

For a bit more money you can get an SC in comparable condition. Maybe even an SC in similar condition. I'd think about it. And while other's might not agree, the SC pulls quite a bit better. There is no replacement for displacement. I only drove one 2.7 stock 77 in my search and thought it was quite noticeably slower than the 3.0 SCs. If you want to track the car, this might be an important piece of information! You will want power!

Also, in CA, 77 is too far away from being smog exempt. At least go for a 74 or 75 if you do get a mid 70 car. Then you can put decent exhaust to wake it up, not an option yet on a 77. And if you need even more umph, you can put whatever else you want in its place or rework the 2.7 again.

The 74-77 can be a great bargain since people shy away from it. It's up to you. My advice is to go drive and look at a few SC cars before buying this one!

Cheers, George
Old 09-16-2003, 09:19 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the engine re-build a full rebuild or just the heads? CIS original pistons can show noticable wear at 100k due to smog issues, etc.....Ron
Old 09-16-2003, 08:39 PM
hoosierdaddy
Intermediate

If you like the car buy it ! I bought a 77s last December and I laugh every time I read someone telling all the pit falls of the car. I've had a lot of fun with mine with plans to upgrade the car . Also the 77 was a full galvanized body unlike the 74-76 . My car runs SSI's Carerra tensioners and dual out exhaust and seems to hold its own. I've always wondered if the people advising against these car are speaking from expeience or just passing along what they have read.
Jim
Old 09-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Jason F
Instructor

If the car checks out, and you like it, buy it!

I love my 1977, though it is not near original form anymore. The skinny fenders give the 1977 a sleeper look. You will likely want more engine eventually, but it is fun with the 2.7 too!

Just my $.02

Jason

Quick Reply: 1977 911... should I buy it?