Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering air cooled. Shifter advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 PM
CarlosDanger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering air cooled. Shifter advice.

Hi there,

I have a '99 996 C2 and I'm considering selling it for a 911 SC. I have found a 1980 SC locally that seems pretty well sorted. I drove it for the first time today - which is also the first time I've driven any 80s p car. I have a '75 BMW 2002, so I'm used to no power steering, ABS, traction control etc.

My main question is in regards to shifting. I believe this car has some updated WEVO components and had some sort of bracket visible from the top of the shift boot (right side). But the shifting felt very notchy. I'm just curious if this is to be expected. I don't really have an issue with it but with no prior experience, I don't know if it is out of the ordinary or a potential issue.

I'm working on scheduling a PPI and will be moving forward from there.

Any/all help is very much appreciated.

Oh and here is a quick photo I took. You can see it is at the body shop getting some paint redone.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

The visible part on the shifter may be a Sein Kit. A nice upgrade from stock if you like the feel. They make the 3-4 throw the "home row" and you'll feel spring tension in any of the other gates. Especially useful for downshifting from 5-4 (at speed) and not accidentally dropping into 2nd, which can be fatal to the engine. Yes, they can be very "notchy". That's the feel of the 915 trans. Not well suited to forcing, they're a gentle ballet when shifted properly. There are a few other components (coupling, ball/cup joint, etc.) that can be replaced / adjusted to get it working well. The early 80's SC's are great cars if you find a sound one. If I was to do it all over again I would have gotten one of them instead of my '74.
-C
Old 07-24-2015, 05:24 PM
CarlosDanger
Advanced

Default Considering air cooled. Shifter advice.

Thank you. I just put down a deposit. Here is a photo of what I was talking about. Name:  photo56.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  1.03 MB

Quick Reply: Considering air cooled. Shifter advice.