Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bruce Anderson's Workshops??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Gary_C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bruce Anderson's Workshops??

Has anyone gotten to attend one of Bruce Anderson's workshops.If so, I would like to hear how you liked them.
Looking for info on the 2003 schedule.
Thanks!
Gary C.

'69 911 BLK.
'69 911 Red (wife's)
'78 911 SC Blue (also wife's)
Old 01-12-2003, 01:57 AM
VELOCE
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELLO
I attended ALL 3 CLASSES in SEPT 2000. The ENGINE and GEARBOX CLASSES were GREAT , worth every DOLLAR. The SATURDAY TUNE - UP / MAINTENANCE CLASS was a little disappointing, but others I talked to the following MONDAY - TUESDAY [ TRANSMISSION / GEARBOX CLASS ]thought it was fine. In fairness to BRUCE ANDERSON & JERRY WOODS ,I did leave early SAT. to go spend the rest of the weekend up in NAPA. JERRY WOODS is one of the most knowledgeable technicians / mechanics I have met. An EXCELLENT INSTRUCTOR. BRUCE is an absolute wealth of information , knowledge, history , always ready & willing to answer any questions. BOTH are FRIENDLY and made everyone feel welcome. I have been servicing sports cars for over 30 years, so I attended to enhance my knowledge of PORSCHES. Since that class I have increased my PORSCHE customer base significantly.In my opinion you can always learn something new. There were other mechanics in my classes along w/ DIYs. A nice mix , a lot of fun and good food served. I believe someone on PELICAN BOARD complained about the MOTEL 6 accommodations. I stayed there ,it wasn't the HILTON and the some of the staff looked like GUESTS on the SPRINGER SHOW , but it was CLEAN, a helpfull staff and CHEAP [ $ 75 - 85.00 compared to the new hotel NEXT DOOR $ 175 - 250.00]. Of course this was 2000, prices may have changed. As a bonus the venue is NORTHERN CALIF. My first time there , what a beautiful part of the world. CHICAGO is GREAT but FRISCO is really COOL in more ways than one. YEAH ERIC BURDON was wrong about the " WARM SAN FRANCISCAN NIGHTS " it can get a bit chilly. What a nice town! And the WOMEN , good god one great looking one after another. I am " LEGALLY BOUND & GAGGED " so I only looked. I hope my comments were of help. PLEASE Email me if I can be of further help. REGARDS ALAN NORTHBROOK ILL.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:52 AM
quicksilver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I generally find that I "tune people out" fairly quickly when I talk to people about the technical aspect of cars. They usually will very quickly expound "facts" that are wives tales or are inconsistent with the physics of internal combustion engines or vehicle dynamics. Example: I asked everyone that I could find why I couldn't spin the 3.2 Carrera motor faster. Everyone said it couldn't be done but failed to explain exactly why. The most prestigious Porsche shop is Southern California told me that the rod bolts and valve springs weren't up to the task. (which is true) When I suggested that the weak parts be replaced they said it still won't work but couldn't give a reason. Bull! (To quote Carroll Smith, "There is no magic.") Engines are physics experiments. If the parts hold together then they hold together.

That being said, I went to San Jose for Bruce's engine class in November of 2001 and found exactly what I was looking for. Every question was answered immediately with a simple, logically consistent answer that when probed came from direct experience. Jerry Woods is amazing. He demonstrates the unusual (and in racing, successful!) attribute of simplicity at all times. Nothing is changed unless it needs to be. All changes have logically thought out reasons, which they will explain. There is nothing that they are changing that they don't know exactly why it is being changed. There was no magic in sight.

One of the most enjoyable parts of the class was the slideshows with the running commentary. They included pictures of both technical and historical/entertainment interest. I find Bruce's blunt comments very funny. Questions and interruptions are encouraged. The class is a little more focused on the earlier engines but that is to be expected because it is easier to mess with a non-computerized motor. At every point they happily pointed out the differences and similarities of the later motors. I suggest that you write down any question you can think of so you don't forget to ask it!

The highlights of the class for me were, getting to watch a dyno run on a 750HP 935 motor, a demonstration of how the fuel/spark maps are set in the Motec software, seeing three 908s in various stages of restoration in a neighboring shop, and getting to see one of the four 917-30s. (and having them open the back and show us the motor!)

BTW- The answer to my 3.2 question? Change to ARP or Raceware rod bolts, shot peen the rods, higher pressure valve springs, 964 oil pump, 964 cams, a matching chip, and restrict the upper end oiling with the 91 turbo cam oil restrictors and it should spin to 8 grand. Apply some restraint and limit the revs to 7,200 and you have a reasonable reliable upgrade to the motor. (add the Mahle 3.4 or 3.5 P/Cs and see a real improvement!)

Their website is <a href="http://www.911handbook.com/" target="_blank">http://www.911handbook.com/</a>

Wayne
Old 01-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Schuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wayne Dempsey went to them and he thought they were great...he suggests that a guy reads his book "101 Projects For Your 911" b/f going and although it seems like a shameless plug by himself, I'd have to agree, that book simply is the BEST...

Quick Reply: Bruce Anderson's Workshops??