Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I got it out in only 5 hours... but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:46 PM
timlooney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I got it out in only 5 hours... but...

Well, I do not have too much time to devote to the car unfortunately (working for a living is no good) but I did finally drop my motor in about 5 hours. Due to some recent posts I am going out on a limb and I am going to blame Wayne Dempsey. I used his 101 Projects and it was very helpful. It has been almost 15 years since I dropped my last Porsche motor and that may not count because it was a 914-4 and I was only 15 (younger and stupider).

Like Wayne I also have two mechanical engineering degrees from colleges in Massachusetts (two less expensive neighbors to MIT). Armed with my education (everyone should be scared now) I decided to pull the transmission out at the same time as the motor. It did not go as smoothly as I would have liked.

First of all, it got hung up slightly on the shift linkage but I got it off fairly quickly. Should I expect any damage from that? I am planning to at a minimum put a new set of syncros in the transmission. The worst of it all is that I broke off the throttle pivot right at the case. The engine slipped a little when I was yanking it out from under the car. I think I should be able to use an extractor and get the bolt out but there was a little deformation around the threads. Is this a factory or bone yard part?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: I got it out in only 5 hours... but...