Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

please help with valuation, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:57 PM
arborist83
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with valuation, help!

My father passed away and I now own his 84' 911, with 98' 993 varioram swap, this was a track car, he was a driving instructor with the PCA and well respected amongst his peers, the sap was done in 2000 and the original car it came from was a buddy of his who totaled his 98' 993, at install the motor had about 10k on it. Since install and lack of financing the car has been tracked by my dad maybe a dozen times, he passed in 2009 and I have been maintaing it since and only drive it on the road monthly in the spring summer and fall to keep the motor "greased". Alas it breaks my heart but I feel it is unpractical to keep the car as I do not have time to track it or even drive it. The chassis has 55k, suspension mods, roll bar, not caged, rear seat delete, I believe it has the euro chip, intake and exhaust mods, this car was driven by a lifetime porsche enthusiast and well loved, one owner, all work performed by Kevin Saltzman at Randolph Racing since the 80's always. Car is in good shape, silver coupe 3.8 rear deck lid and front spoiler, extra oil cooler up front. Any ideas on valuation?! It is my firm belief the 98' Varioram has between 15k and 17k on it NO MORE driven well, and loved dearly! 15w40 oil changed apron every 500-1000 miles, seem excessive? This car is only driven 500 miles a year, it also sat almost undriven from 2004-2009 when dad retired. I drive it apron 500 per year from 09 to present. Please help with with a valuation, thanks a ton!
John

This was also submitted to the 993 forum, thanks

Old 06-21-2015, 12:47 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

These type of cars are extremely difficult to put a value on- if it was stock it would be much easier. Be great car to do a RS backdate on. You need to find someone who wants a hot rodded 911 to run on track.
GLWS,
Phil
Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The market is so hot this car will sell easily even though it isn't stock. Start with an ask of $35k. And provide more detailed pictures. People want to see the interior, engine bay, and trunk. Sorry for your loss but sometimes part of the healing is parting with their things.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First, hot rods are extremely hard to value as they are all "one of one" and generally reflect the vision of an individual builder at a single point in time, and fads change quickly.

The general rule of thumb for valuation is 50% of build cost, so the higher the quality of the build, the more it will be worth.

The second issue is finding another buyer who shares your father's vision of the car... this takes time, but if the car was done to a high standard, the more time and effort you put in to document the work and market it, the better you will do.

If you are looking for top dollar, collecting all the documentation, bills, maintenance records etc, will help. Also be patient. Many people will lowball cars like this looking to steal them, so if you are in a position to wait for the right buyer, you will get more money.

All that said, I'd tend to agree that any offer below $35-40K, I'd sit on the car if possible.

Quick Reply: please help with valuation, help!