Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, or love my...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As an amusing aside - how many "Porscha" purists from the US pronounce and spell English the way it is done in the country it's named after?

Lieutenant for example - pronounced "Left-tenant", or Schedule - pronounced "shed-ule"....... Colour as opposed to being spelt Color.......

Personally none of it matters a damn to me - we can't even agree how to say "Bath" in our own country, let alone anothers....... more important things in life exist in my humble opinion......
Old 10-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Po-Wersh, dammit!!
Old 10-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Hugh R
Advanced

I wrinkle my nose when someone says how much they like my "Austin Martin" (like I really respect their opinion at that point). Come to think of it, maybe I should start calling it a Porsche for the same reason.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I guess I don't understand why you would not want to try to pronounce a word properly. If you do not want to enunciate a word, well, there will be people who are going to look askance at you, while others could give a damn.

Not knowing how to pronounce a name or word properly is as bad as not knowing how to spell it correctly, both infractions reflecting either ignorance or laziness or "creativity". Yes, I've been guilty of the first two. I'm happy I can finally pronounce the word "gamut".
Old 10-15-2003, 09:30 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Since I was a kid I always knew the correct pronunciation (or close to it) because that's how I was told. When talking with someone who pronounces it "Porsh", I don't correct them. Most likely they don't know and it doesn't bother me, and I figure they'll hear me pronounce it differently and will figure it out or ask me. What I do think is strange, is when someone KNOWS that "Porsh" is wrong but continue to use it. Can't quite figure that one out, and don't think about it much.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Paul491 Cadrobbi
Instructor

As long as the person involved in the afore mentioned 'infraction' is speaking positively and respectfully about our beloved marquee, whether they are pronouncing it "Porsh" or "Porsche" makes little difference to me. The important thing is the true appreciation for the name that has brought us such wonderful driving machines over the years. Pronunciation falls very low on my scale of importance and really doesn't ‘bunch up my shorts’. IMHO much to do about nothing... lol Just my .02 cents

Cheers!
Paul

Quick Reply: Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, or love my...