Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

GPS Anti-Theft Device

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Looking Glass
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Anti-Theft Device

I just read a feautre in the Dayton Daily News about a local company that sells GPS vehicle tracking units to the general public. Website is: http://autopeaceofmind.com/index.html. The article appeared in the Sep 9, 2003 edition of the paper (on page D1, if you have Nexis and want to do a search). The article says that prices range from $695 to $895 with monthly fees ranging between $9.99 to $34.95. The owner of the firm is a Karen Kern of Oakwood, Ohio. Her phone is said to be 937-299-3117.

All the usual disclaimers. Don't know her, not related, no financial interest in the company. It just seems remarkable to me since I understand that systems for commercial trucks cost about $9K to install. The mind runs wild: track your friends, your kids, your enemies (just kidding - most of that would be illegal).

Bernie Chachula
New Rennlist Member
Beavercreek, OH
Old 09-10-2003, 12:30 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's always amazed me that the technology is so clearly out there: namely, cheap GPS receivers and cell phone/pager technology, that there should be an inexpensive product available that figures out when your car is moving, and immediately calls you (or the police) with its location.

I don't care about my kids driving my car (well, I actually don't have kids). But I do care about someone stealing it. Lo-Jack and motion sensors seem like remarkably dumb tools, to me. This should be a cheap and easy product to make and sell to car lovers. And as a bonus, we'd never have to listen to those annoying alarm sirens again.

I turn on the alarm -- and if the car is stolen, it calls me, I confirm that it's stolen, and I remotely disable the starter. Even if it's on a flatbed, it's location is plain as day, and the police can pick it up five minutes later. Cost of product? Should be $250 or less.

Somebody get on this, okay? You'll make a lot of money.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can sort of "cheap" your way into it. You can get one of these kid-finder gadgets (www.wherifywireless.com) for $200 and leave it in the car. It won't call you by itself, but when you notice a lot of extra space in the garage or driveway, you can call it and it will tell you where it is.

edit: Holy crap! This one makes my post count 911!!

Quick Reply: GPS Anti-Theft Device