Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003 | 05:49 PM
lbandme
8th Gear

Default New Porsche Owner

Spent the last 8 weeks reviewing almost every post to this site for the past year, took extensive notes and suggestions including book reviews for buying a 911, PPI inspections, preferences over manufacture years, and pricing. Developed pretty extensive spreadsheet to rank “for sale” cars and have finally completed the purchase of a 1989, 3.2 liter, 911 coupe. I am flying to Denver to pick up car this weekend, PPI mechanic completed tune-up, oil change, etc. so I can establish baseline maintenance for the car. So now for my question; what tools, supplies, etc. should I take with me to drive the car back to Phoenix and is there anything else that I am missing or should be aware of? I have only completed “test drives” in and around Phoenix so the open road will be a first.
Old 09-08-2003 | 06:43 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

First off, welcome and congragulations! It is my personal opinion that half the fun of finding and then buying a car is the road trip to bring it home. Hope you have a great trip.

Regarding supplies:
1) Do you know whether the car comes with the stock tool kit? This has a couple of special tools that you might need.
2) Cell phone?
3) AAA Membership. This is highly recommended, and if you get the upgraded one it provides towing of 100 miles if needed to get your new car to an appropriate shop.
4) Fire extinguisher - I can't stress enough that everyone should carry one in every car they drive.
5) Flashlight
6) What towns will you be going through on your run home? Post these and then maybe some local Rennlisters can e-mail you their contact info in case you get into trouble in their area.
7) Radar detector (flavor of your choice, I just use the cheap ones)
8) A couple of quarts of oil and some rags (I just usually stop at Walmart as I am leaving the PO's town to stock up on things such as this). A small funnel is nice too.
9) Tire gauge (does that tire look low? I sure can't tell, so we might as well keep driving. POP!)
10) Some of those disposable window wipes in a bag to get the bugs off the windshield.
11) A cheap set of jumper cables just in case ($10 at Walmart)
12) Maps/Atlas

That's all I can think of, but I'm sure you will get other suggestions.

Again, welcome and congrats,
Tom

EDIT: While at Walmart you might as well get some of that Techron based gas additive, just in case the PO didn't run it. Might clean some things up internally while you drive it home.
Also, Fuses: Do you have the old open round type or blade type? Check when you pick up the car, and then buy an assortment of different amperages.
Old 09-08-2003 | 10:57 PM
johnnyquest
Advanced

I always carry a spare DME relay (goes under the driver's seat), plus extra fuses, and bulbs. Make sure the tool kit has a fan belt and the special wrench for replacing it - you'll be dead in the water if the belt goes and no way to put the new one on.

Congrats on the '89 - Last of the 3.2L engine. After I got mine, an old Porsche hand told me "they got a lot right with that car." He was right. Enjoy it!
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:16 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on getting a fine example of the last of the 3.2's.

You mention that you have only "test driving" cars in and around Phoenix. My advice would be to have fun but remember that 60% of the weight of your car is in the back, take it easy in the corners on your drive home until you've had ample seat time to learn the handling characteristics of your new baby. You're gonna love it!
Old 09-08-2003 | 11:42 PM
Larry T.
Rennlist Member

Congrats. I bought my 930 earlier this summer from Denver and drove it back to Chicago. No problems, and a I had a blast on the way back. Just having a PPI completed helps provide peace of mind for the trip home.

Who did you use for the PPI?
Old 09-09-2003 | 12:21 AM
jshangle
6th Gear

I feel like you just wrote my story. At least the search part. I just completed a 4 month search for a 84- 89 911 Cab and am waiting on the delivery of my 1988 Guards Red 911 Cab. I have read hundreds of Rennlist threads gathering data and helpful hints for my search and eventual ownership. I owned a 1976 911S from 82 - 91 and regret the day I sold it. It wasn't the best year/model Porsche ever built but it was fun to drive.

I can't tell you how many CarFax and AutoCheck vehicle report purchases I made in the last few months checking up on cars I found through Ebay, Cars.com and AutoTrader, but it was a lot. I have all the buyers guide books you can think of. The search took me through a failed purchase of an 84 Cab from Daniel Schmitt and Co. of St. Louis where I placed a deposit on a car and was waiting for the PPI to be completed when they sold the car from under me. I was furious but they were not concerned with their reputation, only a quick sale. They did return my deposit quickly but the owner never responded to my letter. No money down the tube but a PO'ed me.

My search then landed me in New York for another 84 Cab. This time I did pay for a PPI and the Porsche Service Center I used did not give the car high marks. In fact they rated the car a 4 out of 10. The car was low miles but high on neglect. That on cost me $275 to walk away. Again, I got my deposit back without a problem and I was relieved. Bottom line here is don't rely strictly on pictures. Go see it, drive it and get a PPI.

Finally I cut a deal on an 88 911 Cab and did the PPI through a PCA recommended service center in the Houston area. PPI came back clear. Low miles (53k), original paint, no accidents, original top, new brakes and z-rated tires and in overall outstanding condition. I didn't want to drive the car from Houston to my home in the Washington DC area so am having it shipped. It should arrive in the next week.

Best of luck with the 89 Coupe. Let's keep in touch. I will be interested to compare stories as we learn and enjoy our new toys.

Jim
Old 09-09-2003 | 12:22 AM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Congratulations!

I envy you the experience of driving the car home for the first time--I did the same two months ago, picking up my '88 Coupe in N.C. and driving all the way up to Chicago. One of the more memorable experiences you can have in your life. So much thought and experience has gone into these cars that you're just awed, like an apprentice in the master's workshop. I have yet to find a design feature that doesn't have a clear automotive function.

I was so psyched when I drove the car home that I wouldn't stop except for gas (you'll be surprised how little the car needs on the highway). So my advice is to make sure you're not driving more than seven or eight hours, with plenty of rest stops, etc. I would also avoid the dark just yet. Stop at a motel, have a beer, and look at your car in the parking lot. It doesn't get much better than that.
From TMH's list I would put AAA membership and cell phone at the top.

P.S. The PO might or might not have a bra for the car and you might or might not want to put it on. But if you do and it rains, or is moist, be sure to 'undo' the bra over night and don't put it back on if its still moist. Bad for the paint.

P.S.S. Print out the mapquest directions and read them before you get started.

Let us know how it went!

Beethoven
'88 Coupe
Old 09-09-2003 | 12:22 AM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

Welcome to the board
Make sure you understand how you check the oil level as it's different than other cars.
The motor's oil needs to be at about 180 deg. or circulating thru the oil lines that run to the oil cooler at the right front fender ( I can hear it on my car). You can check it by looking at the oil gauge on the dash it's next to the fuel gauge. Once the car reaches operating temp. let it idle on level ground for a minute or so until the gauge starts to rise, 1/2 to 3/4's rise in the white band is fine.
There's also a dip stick in the oil fill mouth for a more accurate check. It's checked here with the motor running and hot too, Never overfill. I like to leave mine a little down from the full mark ( 1/2 to 1 quart low ) and DON'T drop the stick in the well get it back in it's little hole.
If there isn't an owners manual get one,I'm always looking at mine and as a new owner it will answer many questions.
Good luck and don't get a speeding ticket
Old 09-09-2003 | 01:33 AM
96conv
Advanced

Congrats LBandme! I'm on a search right now for an 87 - 89 Carrera coupe. I may have found one but haven't done the PPI yet. Don't forget to take a pic and post it. Have a safe and fun ride home!
Old 09-09-2003 | 01:44 AM
RANDY P
Racer

welcome to the club!

To expand on the extra fan belt thing- if you see your alternator light come on, shut the car off IMMEDIATELY -

could mean you lost your alternator, or it could me you lost the belt which drives the cooling fan which means your engine will overheat in a matter of seconds.

Oh yeah, do a search on checking oil levels and read it closely. Now is your chance to determine how much oil the car really uses. Pack a quart of 20/50 or 2.

rjp
Old 09-09-2003 | 03:08 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Take a wad of cash with you for tickets in New Mexico. The last time my buddy got a ticket there, he had to go directly to court to put up a cash bond because he was from out of state. BTW, they know all the tricks there, so even a good radar detector is not much of a guarantee. Of course, you being in Arizona you know about the laser and Vascar the Highway Patrol uses.
Old 09-09-2003 | 09:48 AM
lbandme
8th Gear

Default Thanks for input

I have ordered bra, DME relay, fuses, and belt/tool from Pelican, if the toolkit is missing, besides a basic set of metric tools, what might be needed?

The PPI was done by Stortz Garage on recommendation of Stuggart Southwest, both are outstanding in their pickiness and detail, more than willing to take time with me and explain what to look for and how to approach exceptions found on PPI. Highly recommend either for anyone looking.

As far as route, I thought of taking I-25, I-40, I-17 route, 4 lave divided highway, higher speed limits, but am considering more scenic route through Albuquerque, Show Low, Payson, shorter but only 2 lanes.

AZ Highway Patrol is getting almost as bad as NM, and neither probably let a 911 go by without a second look for intimidation.

Really looking forward to the drive, the car, and the experience.

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2003 | 10:15 AM
johnnyquest
Advanced

Other than some basic tools that you might keep in any older car, like screwdrivers, you should be good to go. If you don't already have it, the Bentley repair manual on Carreras is the bible. It's terrific also just to understand how the various systems work in the car. I never go for a long drive or to a DE without mine - it'll probably save me from be towed one day. It's about $120 from the regular catalog sources, but I found a guy on eBay who sells new shrink-wrapped copies for $80. Another book to buy is Wayne Dempsey's 101 Projects for your 911 - great color pics and descriptions of time, tools, and skill needed to do everyday and major projects. This book is everywhere, Amazon, Borders, etc., about $30. Wish I had read it before my first oil change and I would have avoided the Exxon Valdez incident in my driveway from the hole in my oil catcher being too small. My four year old asked me "Daddy, is the oil supposed to be all over the driveway like that? Can I jump in it?"

Enjoy the trip!
Old 09-09-2003 | 11:22 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Thanks for input

Originally posted by lbandme
I have ordered bra, DME relay, fuses, and belt/tool from Pelican, if the toolkit is missing, besides a basic set of metric tools, what might be needed?
Make sure that you get the small air compressor with the car (to fill the space-saving spare for emergency use) unless you want to use the AAA tow service if you get a flat tire. If the original one is not present, get a cheap one during your Walmart visit. Also, are the jack and lug wrench present? If not, the lugs are 17mm and you can use that size socket (deep) with a half-inch breaker bar. Other than that, see above: Some regular tools like screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, various pliers, etc.

Tom
Old 09-09-2003 | 02:31 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

I drove my car from Chicago to Florida last December. Fun trip. First thing I did was find a local K-mart and bought a 19.99 tool kit (Metric) - I know - cheap, but made me feel better.

I printed out directions from door to door on mapquest - but since MS bought mapblast - I now like their maps better.

Good advice on the cell phone (AND EARPIECE!) - and AAA membership. Even better was the advice on the compressor.

I got all the way home and found I had driven without a compressor! Good thing I didn't have a flat!

It was a great drive and a great opportunity to blow some of the carbon out.

BTW - Make sure you take extra time at the airport - single guy - one way ticket - tools and such in your carry on - you'll set off all the alarms at airport security. The security gal at the airport said whil frisking me "now I am going to pat down your back" I said hold on a second lady - that's not my back!

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner