Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil tank breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Artie Sevigny
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil tank breather

Just converted a 76 911S from CIS to PMO carbs and wondering what to do with the oil tank breather hole. Would pluging it cause and problems? If so what should be done.

Artie
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not plug it. K&N used to make a little filter, which you could clamp on the breather fitting. Why don't you ask the folks at PMO if this part is still available?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Howard
Racer

Tom is correct, don't cap it off. The best solution for me was to mount a catch can ( available from Pegasus) to catch any oil overflow.The can has a small filter at the top and a valve at the bottom to drain periodically. OR you can get a small filter for the vent from Performance Products, downside is if you ever overfill, or run on tracks with banking CCW you'll have oil spewing all over the right side of the engine. (been there done that)
Old 09-07-2003, 03:47 PM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the catch can (good idea), I'd suggest venting the blowby into the intake instead of to atmosphere (slightly better for the environment). If you use the Watershield filters, there's a hole in the top lid to attach a hose. You can find PCV grommets and fittings at the local parts store to plumb the catch can to the air filters.

Sherwood Lee
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 09-08-2003, 02:20 AM
Artie Sevigny
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the advice. I have the watershield filters and was hesitant to vent the oil breather to them. Just trying to keep the oil residue off the carbs. I'll probably hook up a catch can as well.

Artie

Quick Reply: Oil tank breather