Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Black Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 01:22 PM
classic911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Window Trim

One of my winter projects on my car is to replace the currently warped dashboard with an unwarped one. I will be removing the windshield and in looking I've noticed that my black window frames (front and back) could use a touchup. Is it a question of some flat black Wurth spray paint or more involved?

Any suggestions from the board?

Thanks!

Paul-1982 911SC
Old 09-06-2003, 06:05 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory trim is black anodize. Anodize fades from the sun as you found out.
As long as you have the pieces off why not get them powder coated? I did mine 10 years ago and they still look great. You might be disappointed in paint.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:37 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Anodizing is an electochemical process and not reproducible with paint or powdercoat. If you want it done right, look for a shop that offers this service in your area. The material is roughended by anodizing and then dyed. I am unsure how the dye works but it gives it that certain matte finish no semi gloss paint will reproduce. Of course, if this is a daily driver or racer that you don't care to have 100% perfect then powdercoating probably is your best bet. Painting aluminum isn't fun and powdercoating should stick better.

Cheers, George
Old 09-06-2003, 09:31 PM
classic911
Instructor

Thanks everyone.

Powdercoating it is then!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:21 PM
timlooney
Instructor

Anodizing is a very common. As George mentioned it is an electrochemical reaction that creates aluminum oxide on the outer surfaces. The aluminum oxide is very resistant to scratching and abuse. There are two flavors "regular" and "hard coat". Hard coat will set you back more but is almost indestructible. It is tough to paint aluminum so it is usually anodized or plated. Look for a local plating shop, it would probably be $80 to have the trim done, if they have a tank that is big enough. They can dip a bunch of parts at the same time so tell them that you will wait to piggy back on another order to save some $.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Several years ago, I was working on a 911 restoration. At the time I wasn't aware of powder coating, I had some trim anodized at a local shop. At first I was happy with the results, the finish seemed to degrade quickly. In the last few years as powder coating has become more popular I've started using the process on trim, wheels and other parts. IMHO powder coating is far superior if done correctly. Just my $0.02.........powder coating is also less expensive (my experience), that may differ in other parts of the country.

Good Luck
Old 09-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

You could also go to a newer style rubber gasket that doesn't use the metal trim. I didn't do this myself and don't know if I would because it takes away a little bit of the character of the year away.
I would replace the gasket if it hasn't been done recently and the glass too if it's pitted. I put a tinted one made by PPG ( auto paint) in my SC and it's been fine.
See how the dash turns into other stuff.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The trim in your '82 was powder coated from the factory. Porsche used silver oxide plating (not anodizing) on the early black trim cars, in the 70s. The silver oxide is photosensitive, and fades to gray. At one time, there was a dealer program to repaint the trim in situ. Porsche switched to all powder coating around 1980. The silver oxide looks much better, when new, in my opinion. It is a deep and lustrous black. The powder coating always looks a little dull.

Quick Reply: Black Window Trim