Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering a change out on my spark plugs and wires....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering a change out on my spark plugs and wires....

I believe each have about 50K miles. '88 Carrera.

Any issues with Bosch 7900 (ID'd as the OEM replacement) or the Fyrebraid wire set? Other recommendations?

I use the car for spirited driving and occasional mountain roads, but non-racing.

Do the wire sets come with the rubber protectors where the wires go over the fan shroud? Or the hard plastic wire separators?

I expect difficulty getting at cylinder 6 plug and getting the 4 thru 6 wires under the A/C compressor mount. Suggestions?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove the AC compressor as well as the blower tube on the left side to get better access. Not a difficult job with these removed. Use the Porsche spark plug tool as standard spark plug wrenches like to get stuck, especially in cylinder 6. If you don't have the Porsche tool, you can JB weld an extension to the spark plug socket so that it doesn't pop out and get left behind while you're trying to remove it!

As for which wires, I don't know. The OEM ones have removable/serviceable ends which people swear by, perhaps it's advisable to just get replacement wires and keep the stock ends? I'm not sure... When I did mine I just bought a new set of bright red magnacor wires. The lengths are good, they came with the plastic separators, but I do wish they were a more snug fit onto the plugs themselves. Overall I'm happy with them.

While you're doing this project, you might as well change out the distributor cap and rotor. Easy to do and inexpensive.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tone, there is a spark plug that will make you pull, what is left of, your hair out. You have to use the wrench in the factory tool kit.

Only pull one wire at a time. ....ask Clive

Replace the cap and rotor while you are in there.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

I use the Bosch WR7DC in my '85. Never any problems. That may be the same as the Bosch 7900.

My wire set says Beru on it. It has been a while, but I expect I would have bought the Genuine Porsche ones, so I guess Beru is the OES on these. Plastic connectors included.

Spark plug wrench from the toolkit. Take your time.

I probably did this at the same time as a valve adjustment and took the opportunity to permanently remove the AC system, which made access a lot easier.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 241 Posts

The Porsche wires are about twice as expensive as Beru OEM. I went with Beru OEM and the stock spark plugs. Used the tool kit spark plug remover and did not remove the compressor but did remove the stock air intake filter and outer cover. Made it much easier to reach, but not easy. Replaced the cap and rotor. Just keep your wires labeled. You should have a sticker on the body showing the spark plug location numbers to keep the wires straight. I've had zero training, but was able to swap the wires, plugs, cap, and rotors by going slowly. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I've read around here (at least in the 993 forum), Beru is the original manufacturer and tend to be of higher quality than the Bosche.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Beru's in stock CLICK HERE.

And Bosch 7900's and other's CLICK HERE.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jason
Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Use NGK plugs the Bosch are problematic
Old 04-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had better luck with NGK plugs too.

-Jason

Quick Reply: Considering a change out on my spark plugs and wires....