Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How hard are DE days on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:19 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How hard are DE days on cars?

I have an 87 Carrera and had been going back and forth about selling it and maybe switching to a Cayman. I think that if I were to learn how to drive the Carrera better that I would find it more fun to own. So I am toying with doing a Hooked on Driving DE at a track nearby-a 5 mile road course.
I know they have specific requirements for the pre test for your car condition. I think I would be in pretty good shape there.
I am thinking that a first DE should not be too hard on a car but was wondering what others think.
I also thought about putting in a Steve Wong chip but both shops I go to think it is not a great idea-any thoughts on this?
Thank you,

Brooks
Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Brooks,

DE events are not hard on the cars; its the DRIVERS who can cause any grief.

Seriously though, its all about how the car is operated and driven and that's squarely in the hands of the owners. Approach such events as educational opportunities to learn how to master these machines and develop car control skills and you'll not put any undue stress on these things.

The folks who regard DE's are simply an opportunity to drive fast and 'compete' with other participants or friends are the ones who stress their cars and the most prone to a mechanical problem.

Naturally, just my humble opinion,...
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, no racing for me. I just want to learn how to drive the car better as I believe that I will appreciate the car more if I do.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes yes yes! You will fall in love with your car all over again. They are incredible machines and you don't truly appreciate their capability (or your own) until you've driven on track. You will learn a ton, and have a blast. You will also meet great people in the community.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '86 Carrera runs best after a few good workouts at HPDE.

That being said, everything has to be well maintained, from the fluids to brake pads, alignments etc. If so a stock old 911 will give you an experience no modern car can match.

Since no one invests in doing a track day without having the care ready, My feeling is that a "tracked" Porsche is actually a better car than a sunday driver.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:03 PM
gerry100
Pro

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Yes yes yes! You will fall in love with your car all over again. They are incredible machines and you don't truly appreciate their capability (or your own) until you've driven on track. You will learn a ton, and have a blast. You will also meet great people in the community.
+1
Old 04-07-2015, 02:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't push you toward doing a full full Thunderhill as your first time.

Not sure what HOD has going on with tech. It's been 3+ years since I've instructed with them, however. Other thing to realize with them is that they've changed their whole coach/instructor model this year, and it seems they're continually appealing for help at the last minute. I think that's part of the reason they're moving hard toward a lead/follow model with each coach leading two students. Call me skeptical. Especially in a ~20 minute session on what's over a 3:30/20+ turn lap for newcomers. The 3 miler, in car is tough enough to get some basics presented over the course of a single day.

In any case, I highly encourage you to get out there. And if you truly are bouncing this off replacing the car with a Cayman, all you'll be doing is maybe going faster. A well set up, fully stock SC/Carrera will teach you what's what, and you'll be better off for it.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Ken,

Thanks for the info. Is there another place/venue you would recommend?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My first track day was Mosport, followed by Watkins Glen... Both regarded as big boy tracks. I followed that with Calabogie and its 20+ turns along with some first timer friends. My opinion is don't let the track scare you out of it, I don't personally know Thunder Hill but I do know that if you leave your ego at the door (sounds like you have a good approach already since you're asking for advice) and listen to your instructor (they've always been great in my experience) and keep within your personal limits, then you will be fine at any track!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

A DE day is only as hard on your car as you make it. If you (and your instructor) are striving for smooth inputs, a stock Porsche is well within it's limits. I run my '74 3-5 times a year and am still on one set of front pads going into my 3rd season. I'm constantly waving other faster cars by (with 175 hp, I'm one of the slowest cars out), but that doesn't stop me from having loads of fun and frequently getting complimented by other drivers on holding a good line. I stay way on top of maintenance with bi annual brake fluid flush, oil change after every 2 sessions and annual trans fluid change. The old girl hasn't let me down yet.
I've run with HOD, the BMW club, Alfa Club and our local non-denominational Cascade Sports Car Club. Of them all I'd say CSCC is the best for instructions, but I'm biased on account of being a member and know many of the instructors. PCA has gone to HOD as it's school here in the PNW, but look into your chapter so you can be among like minded drivers. Go for it. It's a blast.
-C
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Join your local PCA region... most of them have DE events.

This is the best bang for the buck track driving opportunity you can find. I don't know about Cal, but back here, many of our PCA instructors have a racing experience, and are as good as some of the high-price Pro driving schools.

Any time you go on the track, there are risks, but in my experience it is safer than driving on the street. I would encourage you to do it.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Thank you. I am a member of our Shasta Region PCA and we have a tour this Sunday that I am really looking forward to. I bet I will learn a lot that day.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Not sure why they would not recommend the Steve Wong chip. It compliments the motor, improving performance across the board. Wong chips have been around for decades and he has sold thousands of chips.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 to everything everyone has said here. Sooner you start the better! The only downside is to say goodbye to any savings you used to have LOL
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Ha ha, i bet...

Quick Reply: How hard are DE days on cars?