Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

should new belts chirp a little when you punch it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 05:36 PM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should new belts chirp a little when you punch it?

Hello everyone,

I hear a chirping sound from the belts when I get on the gas abruptly, but the chirp is very short. Revving up slowly or normally to red line does not produce the chirping sound. Alternator and AC belts seem tight to me...and they're both new. (1 yr old, less than 200 miles). Also new is the Griffiths AC compressor. Can't tell which belt or if both are chirping, without running it with the AC compressor belt removed, and I'm not aware of battery charging issues.

what is the rule on how tight these belts must be? and is it normal for a healthy 3.0 sc to do that?

thanks in advance
Tarek

'79 sc
Old 09-02-2003, 11:42 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are chirping, sounds like they are too loose or not the correct ones for the car. Make sure they are the correct ones and retighten. I always tighten belts so I have about a quarter of an inch of play when I push on the belt. You may have to play with the alternator belt a little to see if tightening it (taking out shims) makes the chirp go away. Also never use belt dressing on them. They really will chirp.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the A/C is off, the A/C belt is unloaded and just free-wheels, so it is unlikely the A/C belt will chirp with the A/C off. That leaves the fan/alternator belt and (if so equipped) the air pump belt.

The most likely source is the fan/alternator belt. In case you're unaware, the alternator is inside the cowling behind the fan, so the fan belt is under load from both the air movement and from alternator load. If you also have the smog pump, it increases the load on the fan belt even further.

The adjusting shims are finicky, but if you have the combination right you should have slight play in the belt but not be able to turn the fan by hand. If you can turn the fan by hand, you probably need at least one less shim between the fan pulley halves.

And, a hint on getting the extra shims (stored on the on the outside of the pulley) back into place. Take the whole assembly (extra shims and concave washer) in hand and wrap the edge with one wrap of electrical tape, leaving the end of the tape loose and sticking out. Once the shims, washer, and nut are in place and just finger tight (but before you tighten the nut with a wrench), peel the tape off.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:28 AM
TAREK
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spider911 and Paul Conquest,

thanks for the response and instructions. I won't get to this till later today or the weekend, and will report back as soon as I do.
...and that tip on the shims is great!! thanks !

Tarek
'79 sc

Quick Reply: should new belts chirp a little when you punch it?