911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is next group of Por$che to Appreciate

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015 | 04:35 PM
cretinx
Racer

in the long run? 997s - last of the hydrolic steering and non-turbo (apparently the new ones are all going turbo)
Old 03-24-2015 | 04:53 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cretinx
in the long run? 997s - last of the hydrolic steering and non-turbo (apparently the new ones are all going turbo)
To quote J M Keynes:

"In the long run, we're all dead."
Old 03-24-2015 | 05:15 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by JCP911S
To quote J M Keynes:

"In the long run, we're all dead."
I like it.

And frankly I think all this obsession over resale values, adding values, worrying about appreciating, etc is complete horse****.

My 911 has 140,000 miles and I drove it all winter long.

Drive your damn cars, these aren't investments, they're tools.
Old 03-24-2015 | 05:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cretinx
I like it.

And frankly I think all this obsession over resale values, adding values, worrying about appreciating, etc is complete horse****.

My 911 has 140,000 miles and I drove it all winter long.

Drive your damn cars, these aren't investments, they're tools.
Hear, hear. That was the subscript of my original reply.

Translation? You wanna make money in the 911 market you missed the boat. You want to buy a sports car with few, if any, rivals in the vintage world? Buy yourself a 911 and shut up and drive!

The ONLY reason any of my cars are parked is because I haven't had the time to give them the love that is required to drive them, safely. Last time I took out my '67 912 the brake pedal went to the floor. No amount of pumping would bring it back. Used the gearbox to get it home and park it. Spring project ahead. My only concern about the value of the car was putting it into a tree to avoid hitting something else and having to write it off.

What better time than now to upgrade the brakes, right? Originality be damned. I want to live long enough to have grandchildren. And even my grandchildren won't get to fight over my "investment" because I'll pick who gets the car if I don't sell if before I die. Right now, it's my daughter's car if I bite it. She's 3 and a half.
Old 03-24-2015 | 05:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCP911S
If I had a crystal ball, I'd sell another $20M of my Apple stock, and be sipping wine in my Tuscan Villa.

IMHO, SC/Carrara were grossly undervalued a few years ago, and have simply risen rapidly to market. Even at $30K, still good value now, but unlikely to continue to appreciate above market.

The collector car market has been pretty well picked over by now.

Breaking ranks, the chrome C3 Corvettes are still a good (but no longer great) buy, as are TRs and early MGBs.

I actually just picked up a 1968 Corvette convert.
The 1968-1972 chrome bumper vettes can be had fairly cheap right now and are fun classics.
Old 03-24-2015 | 07:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by GTgears
Hear, hear. That was the subscript of my original reply.

Translation? You wanna make money in the 911 market you missed the boat. You want to buy a sports car with few, if any, rivals in the vintage world? Buy yourself a 911 and shut up and drive!

The ONLY reason any of my cars are parked is because I haven't had the time to give them the love that is required to drive them, safely. Last time I took out my '67 912 the brake pedal went to the floor. No amount of pumping would bring it back. Used the gearbox to get it home and park it. Spring project ahead. My only concern about the value of the car was putting it into a tree to avoid hitting something else and having to write it off.

What better time than now to upgrade the brakes, right? Originality be damned. I want to live long enough to have grandchildren. And even my grandchildren won't get to fight over my "investment" because I'll pick who gets the car if I don't sell if before I die. Right now, it's my daughter's car if I bite it. She's 3 and a half.
I like your 'tude, Boss!
Old 03-24-2015 | 08:01 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I actually just picked up a 1968 Corvette convert.
The 1968-1972 chrome bumper vettes can be had fairly cheap right now and are fun classics.
They're a hoot! My '71 is what the Victorians called "A Fallen Angel"

Looks prim and proper the outside, but fast and loose on the inside.

Quick Reply: What is next group of Por$che to Appreciate