Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Axle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Questions

Hello everyone. Finally, spring feels like its right around the corner. Planning to put the axles back in and had a couple questions (out for clutch replacement & other misc items). I had a couple questions and wanted to see what you guys did in these situations. This is an 89 3.2.

1. See the pic below. Other than a good cleaning, does any put anything on the axle splines on reassembly?

2. I have read a number of people using locking washers along with the plates to fasten the inner CV to the trans flange. My car did not have the locking washers and those bolts were tough to get out (none were loose). I see the manual does not show the locking washer for this year. Was wondering what installation others had.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

My 89 does not have the locking washers,just the double plates ... just make sure the holes where you thread the bolts are free of axle grease.
I use Qtips to clean the holes ... and put a small amount of grease on the splines.

It's a good practice to replace the allen bolts,i buy a box of 50 from a supplier like Fastenal and put new ones when I remove the axles for whatever reason !

Cheers
Phil

Cheers
Phil
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Pjd131
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Phil. I did read about the importance of having the cv end cap and flange very clean to increase clamping force. As you suggested, I will get in there with some Qtips so the bolts don't pick up and grease during reassembly. Also, I think I am going to go with the no washer approach too. I will make a habit of checking the torque on these every few months or so. Can't wait to get her back on the road.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:27 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Grease the splines on the axles flange you show in the picture.

Quick Reply: Axle Questions