Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

euro pre-muffler compared to by-pass pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003 | 07:30 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

Default euro pre-muffler compared to by-pass pipe

Could anyone clarify the difference between these two? I replaced my cat on my 88 3.2 with what i believe is a bursch by-pass pipe over two years ago and am happy with lower operating temps and slightly magnified exhaust tones. I am still curious as to the what makes a euro pre-muffler "better"? I also dissected the Fram filter PH 2842 (equivalent of the Mahle OC54)from my last oil change and have some interesting digital photos showing the inner workings and relief valving plus some manufacturing defects that are not very desirable in any filter. Any hints or links for methods of posting the pictures for everyone to view would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2003 | 10:02 AM
jim912928
Racer

On posting pictures...rather than typing in the "quick reply" box at the bottom of this page...click on the "post reply" box at the bottom of this page. Type in your text, click/unclick the options. Then where it says attach file...hit the browse button and find the picture you want to include..click it. and when it returns it will upload when you hit submit reply.
Old 09-01-2003 | 10:25 AM
MikeF
Instructor

Euro premuff is simply a small muffler with no restriction. You can roll a golf ball through it just like your bypass pipe. It is larger in diameter to allow some insulation to surround the central pipe which has some holes to allow exhaust gasses / echos to be absorbed. There are lots of claims of increase hp but my experience says there is none. Unless your car is too loud, save your money and keep your bypass pipe...IMHO.
Old 09-02-2003 | 02:06 AM
Steve W
Racer

Europremufflers have dyno proven consistently to increase your peak hp by 8. They also don't increase your noise by much over the stock cat but guy with straight pipes say their exhaust has more noise and popping on deceleration. However you should use a properly programmed chip to deliver the necessary fuel to maximize your mid range power because you have effectively converted to the European configuration exhaust. With respect to the differences between a straight pipe vs. a europremuffler, here's is a paragraph from part of an email from Bruce Anderson:

For some reason the cat bypass doesn't seem to do much if you are going to
use the original heat exchangers and some sort of a sport muffler you will
need to find a European pre-muffler to run with the combination to get all of
the gain possible. When we did this with the Ruf single inlet, dual outlet
sport muffler we did see a similar gain to what we saw with the SSI heat
exchangers and the pre-muffler and Ruf dual outlet sport muffler combination.
However the output was down a just a little in the mid-rpms (2500 to 4000
rpm) and again at 5500 rpm. At peak horsepower the SSI combination produced a
gain of 12.5 hp while the Ruf sport muffler and pre-muffler produced a gain
of 11.78 hp. In the mid-rpms the SSI combination showed a gain of 4 hp to
6.9, so if you are after all that you can get the SSI combination is the best
way to go. Both systems offered some gains from 2500 rpms up and what I would
consider significant gains.

Last edited by Steve W; 09-02-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: euro pre-muffler compared to by-pass pipe