Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Mal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Does anyone have a source for the oil pressure gauge element for an 80SC. I do not want to purchase the entire oil pressure / oil temperature gauge, just the element for oil pressure.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:11 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the gauge is if fact the culprit, you can try a few of the dismantlers in the US (Partsheaven is my preferred parts supplier) for a complete gauge, or a speedometer shop that handles Porsche for the internal components.

Buying a complete used guage in good condition would be relatively inexpensive, (probably less than new replacement internal components), and a hell of a lot easier to replace. If you wanted to still keep the original gauge, you could even cannibalize the internals of a used gauge (once you have checked that the pressure gauge side is working properly) cheaper most likely than buying the internal replacement parts.

That said, IMHO, it would be a rare occurrence for the gauge section itself to fail, but it can happen. (it is assumed that you've checked the sender unit at the rear of the motor, all of the associated wiring, and isolated the problem down to the gauge internals)

my $.02.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:48 AM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the sender if you haven't already. Also the wiring to the sender may need cleaning. My gauge stopped showing oil temp' and all that was wrong was that the sender terminals needed a clean.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Mal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The symptom is that oil pressure gauge reading will not increase above 2.5-3.0 bar, regardless of rpm. Oil temperatures are entirely normal. Have replaced the oil pressure relief valve poppet and spring, thinking it might be sticking. I have replaced the sender. I have measured the voltage to the oil pressure gauge terminal and voltage increases with rpm from about 2.5v to the range of 4-4.5 volts at around 5000rpm, but gauge will not track above about 2.5 bar. Removed gauge element to confirm that needle moves freely. Have verified gauge ground connection. Gauge pegs high when lead is lifted from the sending unit (proper indication, I believe). Does anyone know what the voltage output range of the sender should be? BTW engine runs very well with no unusual noise or metallic particles in oil sump. Rebuilt about 15000miles ago. Have virtually ruled out actual problem with oil pump but have not yet verified with mechanical pressure gauge. Am running out of things to check short of replacing the gauge. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge