Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbocharging the 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 06:46 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tito,
Great job and awesome car but how did you get that much HP with the factory motronics and I am surprised that your car didn't run faster in the QM. Don't get me wrong because high 11's is real fast but with a car as light as yours and the HP you have I would think you would be much faster, did you have problems hooking up? Again, great work.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

blitz951, Thanks,

how did you get that much HP with the factory motronics

Thats is the BIG question that has everyone talking, I have to tell you that so far I think we are the Only ones that have gone this far,if there others I will love to hear that too, in my eyes is the combination, even do I am more that happy to share and help out, theres a few things I have to keep low profile and thats one of them, along with our turbo size.

I would think you would be much faster

Thats a very good point and you are indeed correct at the end of the day the driver sucks,thats me I will get better with time I hope,on paper the car should be at the 10s (10.6-10.8) since were are at 133mph, I know when we race on the street from a 30mph roll I see 145+mph ,at this time we are going up in Hp once more along with a fuel mangt system as I feel that me and Mr.Motronics have come to an end maybe theres more but we have to move on soon or later,we be racing on Dec (Drag 1/4)once more and we hope to do much better, Traction has never been an issue with our set up not even with our michelin street tires,now we have Drag Radials D.O.T so is even better. If you are interested in the Drag Racing staff I have the entire story at www.pelicanparts.com under HP Junkies "Return from the Dark side" I hope you like it
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Roamer
Instructor

Juan is that you?

I have also looked into this issue and the factory Montronic can be made to work and with less trouble than most think, using Split Second products. However, given the relatively low cost of systems from Haltech, SDS or Autronic, it may be wise to just start with a complete aftermarket ECU. Moreover, these systems can be adapted to twin plug quite easily and in the end cost the same as the typical 964 set up.

As for power, I was looking at a whipple SC for ease of installation and plumbing. With 8psi of boost you can get 350hp out of the 3.2. However, you need to upgrade fuel injectors and engine hardware to cope with the increased power. In addition, you need to keep a close eye on oil temps which may require a front-mounted cooler. Now that you have the motor working you need to address the 915 tranny, which is what I am in the process of right now. Essentially you can swap the tranny for a turbo 4sp or modify the 915 to take the hp.

I am also contemplating a screamer of a 3.4, but this may cost more than a safe sc and yield far less hp and not necessarily be "easier" on the motor.

Forced induction is not cheap, but the hp gains are impressive. If you get an intercooler and run 10psi of boost you are knocking on 400hp! Contrary to what some may say, I stick with Juan's belief that a well thought-out and engineered forced induction motor can be reliable AND powerful. But as with any porsche mod, it won't come cheap!

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I stick with Juan's belief that a well thought-out and engineered forced induction motor can be reliable AND powerful. But as with any porsche mod, it won't come cheap

Thanks BRO! If I dont spend the $ mama will,lol
Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 PM
blitz951
Pro

Tito,
Someone above mentioned why not just go with a 930 Turbo. Well, why didn't you go that route? Is there any advantage going with the narrow body considering the work that need to be done? I am considering the narrow body because I think the car is lighter but I don't know if it is significantly lighter to make all the work a good idea. Let us know if you think you made the right decision.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:29 AM
Lefty's Deceiver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget to budget for some bigger brakes, you're going to need them on the track.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:29 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tito:

I think you're off on a few things with the 930.

One, the 930 does not use the 915 transmission, it uses a much stronger 4-speed up to MY 1988, then a G-50 5-speed for MY 1989.

Two, the reason the 3.3 runs such low hp w/o its turbo is because it's meant for a turbo...it is very low compression to allow for forced induction. The 3.2 is n/a and therefore much higher compression to get power out of it. I believe just putting all the turbo plumbing from a 930 on the stock 3.2 would just blow it up (for want of a more technical term). The factory was obviously trying to get a balance of power and longevity out of the 3.3, so they lowered the compression enough to not destroy it with the forced induction from the turbo. Same deal wit the 951 vs. the n/a 944.

I know it's just your opinion that the 3.2 is better for upgrades, but there appears to be a quite few people on the 930 board who have 600-700+ hp cars, so I'm not sure having the 3.2 as your foundation is any real advantage. The motronic is nice, but it's not like you could leave it stock anyway. There is, however, a definite a weight advantage to a narrow body car.

I think it's just preference once you start getting into major upgrades like this (i.e. 600-700 hp), but if one wants a 300-400 hp car, starting with a 930 and making very minor mods will get you there cheaper and easier than using a n/a Carrera with 214 hp and trying to get it to 300 hp.

Just my $0.02

-Sean
Old 09-03-2003, 01:58 PM
blitz951
Pro

There is, however, a definite a weight advantage to a narrow body car.

What is the weight difference in comparing the narrow body and the wide body and is the difference primarily because of the turbo parts?

I just wonder if the narrow body would weight the about the same once it is made into a turbo.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:03 PM
sschmerg
Racer

In addition to the added steel for the flares, there is also the increased weight of the wheels, suspension components, and brakes for starters. The wider flares also created much more drag, and limited top speed by 10-12 mph.

From the UK magazine GT:

"[From Model Year 1984] Turbo-look option available for 911 which not only made the car slower by adding 50kg [or a little more than 110 lbs.] to its weight but also by increasing the drag created by the wider body (track 1432mm/ 1500mm)."

Of course the turbo-look does not include the turbo and associated plumbing, which weighed about 80-90 lbs. more.

According to the same source then, for base model cars (in the UK anyway):

Carrera 3.2 coupe: 2662 lbs.
Turbo-Look coupe: 2772 lbs.
911 Turbo coupe: 2860 lbs.

In reality, with customary options (like sunroof), they probably all weigh more than that, but it gives you an idea of the differences between the models.

Hope that helps!

-Sean

Last edited by sschmerg; 09-03-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Always911
Track Day

Default 2013 turbo conversion, 911 SC

Great discussion, although 10 years old, I am planning on a turbo conversion to my mint 1982 SC, it has 20,000 miles on a total rebuild with lower compression mahle pistons.. It already has lower compression pistons because it was built up for a Super Charger. The guy cooked the super charger (too much oil) so it was removed before I bought the car. I have all the components; intercooler, plumbing etc. except for the Super C. I don't like Super Chargers, I'd rather have a Turbo. I live and drive at 8000ft in Colorado, the air is cool, but thin, and there is no emission test in this county.

Does anyone know of a turbo manufacturer that has turbos for this application. I'm thinking with so many turbo cars out now, the newer turbos must spool up much faster and almost eliminate lag? Am I right?
Someone told me B&B makes a K27 turbo, that works?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Wow i thought i was on the wrong forum as those posters are long gone.
I am not sure anyone here has turbocharged a standard 911. Might want to try pelican.
I am not even sure our 930 brothers would have input.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try Protosport or Protomotive. Just google em. they have done this work for years. Everything from bolt on to complete rebuilds. My engine runs amazing.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There was a member years ago named Spence or Spencer that turbo'd his 3.2L 911 without using an intercooler. IIRC he was from somewhere over in Australia and used a Protomotive set up. Sorry, search feature is still broken. He did have videos on youtube.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 06-28-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Australia
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

I would add one comment. The 911 series cars are getting fairly pricey and any off-stock turbo upgrade will have a difficult time with any sort of aftermarket add to value.

Quick Reply: Turbocharging the 911