Oil return and feed tubes squashed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil return and feed tubes squashed...

Greetings...

I am making my way back to the Carrara (1985) of my youth.

I just purchased an '85 Targa (114K miles) that needs a buch of "fix me now'...

When I did my own PPI I missed seeing the large dents (squash) of the oil pipes running along the Jack mount (non Porsche mechanic lift point habit)

Q1. Are these a must replacement or can they be "spliced"
(never seen anyone attempt that kind of fix)

Q2. What is a good source for these expensive part

Many Thanks.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jascha:

Replace them Sir. Those carry the "life blood" of the machine and any restriction is NOT good at all.

Small very shallow dents are OK, but if 25% of the area is dented in, its time for new ones. Some people have spliced them but its not cost effective for me.

Just buy new factory ones.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:04 PM
jlkline
Racer

I had a similar problem with flat spots and was able to resolve most of this problem by removing the line during a fender thermostat replacement by GENTLY and SLOWLY tightening a C- clamp onto the affected cross sections several times and locations until the damaged section was back to its near original, round cross section. (The line is brass and fairly ductile.)

This method worked quite well for me; however, if the line is severely flattened, this approach may not work and could result in a line leak, so be prepared to replace the full line at that point.

Also, with either the above repair method or line replacement, exercise extreme caution when removing the line from the fender thermostat. The thermostat housing is all aluminum and the threads can sort of "weld" themselves to the the oil line nut over time, resulting in damaged thermo threads during removal. If this occurs there is a "thermostat saver" repair fitting that can be purchased to fix this problem. Either way, be sure to apply some anti-seize compound during reconnection of the lines.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Addicts and Users:

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Safe Labor Day drives to all!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my lower line from a Porsche supplier, then I saw them for $70 each less at Pelican Parts. They are so weirdly shaped that they cou;ld be a delivery problem. I needed an oxy acet torch to get them off of the thermostat and there is a good chance that the t-stst will get boogered. Vertex lists the thread savers, but they were back ordered, neither I or my PCA buddies know of an alternative source.

Bite the bullit and replace them, cause engine damage id big, big bucks.

Quick Reply: Oil return and feed tubes squashed...