Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front torsion bars - left/right orientation

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Joe Frantz
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front torsion bars - left/right orientation

I've seen various discussions on this topic, but none seem conclusive.
I'm installing new front t-bars.
They are each marked Left or Right on one end.
My question is "In which direction should the marked end face, forward or rearward?"
I believe the bars that came out had the marked ends facing forward, but the I don't remember specifically. The car was disassembled several years ago and my notes don't help.
I've seen discussions that indicate that it makes no difference on initial installs since the bars only acquire memory after use.
Ive also seen discussions that say the the marks always go forward.
The factory manual is inconclusive, only stating that the left and right designations are impotant to maintain.
Anyone have the facts?
Thanks for your help
Joe
Old 08-26-2003, 02:37 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

As you know you can not switch left and right sides, hence the markings. This is because the bars are 'preloaded' in manufacturing. I imagine something like a twist in the material, pre-sprung to be loaded only one way.

Now do you face the bar with the stamping to the front or back? It doesn't make a difference! The factory had it in there with the face to the back, I am positive. That makes sense because you open the cover and you can see the marking. Easy sanity check seeing that you got the sides correctly. This is important in an assembly line and for the mechanic / home mechanic also. It just doesn't make any sense that you'd put it in the other way, hiding the mark.

Now, why doesn't it matter what goes forward and rearward? The torsion bar gets loaded in the exact same manner in both positions. While it is a different end that you stick into the moving control arm, the torsion bar doesn't 'see' which end is fixed and which one rotates. Relative, it is the same way of loading it!

Take a pen and 'simulate' a bar: The left side L, looking at it's face will always get loaded clockwise and the right side R, looking at it's face will always get loaded counter-clockwise.

If you still have doubts, I guarantee you, if it made a difference, the factory and the aftermarket manufacturers would marked the front!

Hope this hasn't been too confusing!

Cheers, George
Old 08-26-2003, 03:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

A correction is in order,....

First, new torsion bars are not pre-stressed.

Some maufacturers simply stamp them with an L & R for later reference AFTER they have been installed and used on the road; thats the only stress they see.

As George said, install front ones with the directional markings (if applicable) at the rear and simply place the adjusters over the letters. The rears are obvious, they will only go in one way and ensure that the markings are visible...

Now,.....used bars MUST be installed in the exact positions they came out of; these are now stressed from use.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Joe Frantz
Cruisin'

George & Steve,
Thanks very much to both of you.
Joe

Quick Reply: Front torsion bars - left/right orientation