Twin plug mfi ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Twin plug mfi ignition question

Looking for some advice/guidance/opinions on what the ignition system might look like so that I might install the components before the engine goes in. The project came with the pricey twin plug distributor so that component is already in place. Was actually leaning towards a couple of factory Bosch CDI units mounted in the usual location.

additional details...the chassis was originally a 72 T, carbureted I believe and has the original wiring harness shown in the photo. Don't know anything about the engine harness and whether it is for an mfi motor or the carbureted version

Any known potential faults with this approach?
Can I use some/most of the engine wiring harness?
Am I better with 3 pin or 6 pin units?
Factory coils?

Just some of the questions that eventually need an answer. Thanks for any help along the way. Mike
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2015, 11:10 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Mike hello tried to give a long winded explanation got timed out,maybe for the best congrats on your project I believe I recall you getting it some time back...
I recently went twin plug on my '68 S and haven't completed it but got the harness almost totally
finished .
A good person to refer to is Aaron Burnham at Burn Bros 805 240 6931 ,he cleared up a lot of my questions very knowledgeable guy and hey he converted my distributor!
Until I did some research and understood the principles yeah it was like greek but you will catch on.
Wth your background electrical engineering ? should be a walk in the park.
the original '72 T is MFI you will still use some of the wiring ,back up ,starter rear lights ,the most important thing I recall is the hot coming off your rear panel with key ON ,that will supply the
wiring for your ignition .
pretty much everything is spelled out on the side of the six pin CD that was recommended to me since the system is transistorized instead of analog like the earlier three pin .
also the tach will need to be updated to a later set up the people at Hollywood Speedo were helpful with that..
Bert
Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Bert...will have some heavy pondering in front of me before I'm done
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts

Can't help with your question, but that engine bay looks incredible.

Quick Reply: Twin plug mfi ignition question