3.0L SSI/ cat bypass.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
okay wait someone educate me here im getting lost

I thought SSIs output out of the back of the car , unlike the stock exchangers on a 3.0 l which output at the side requiring a cross over.

I thought your only option with SSI s on a three litre was a 2 in muffler running along the back .. the stock is a one in one out coming from the cat/bypass.
Yeah, but the title is SSI"s/Cat bypass and that leads down two dif trails.
Threw me off a sec until I re read the message.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry.

Although I am a long time owner/driver I have only recently caught the power up fever. Simply stated, I would like a little more bang for the buck. I have been reading everything concerning getting more power out of the 3.0L and really have not put together a picture of what I want and how to do it. I don't want Carbs because of the climate here and the need for good tuning. My mechanic is 25-30 miles from here, that's more driving into Portland than I am willing to do. I avoid that as much as possible. I really want to go for a 3.6 conversion but am getting no support for that particular project. I would like a bigger motor for the mid-range torque. I'm not so focused on top speed or tracking the car. I want a sleeper and I like the look as it is. I searched for an SC because of a car I saw on the showroom floor, brand new. I had an order to complete at the dealership and had to go to the showroom...Duh, and fell in love on the spot. Now I have one, step 1 complete. Secondly, a 3.6 will require only basic service and will likely pass DEQ.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

there is nothing wrong with a 3.6 conversion . Although they are not commo , they are certainly not uncommon. it will be a bit of work and it will be hard on the 915 but it can be done. I have been in one on the track bolted to a 915 and the best word i can use to describe this car would be "violent " it hurtles into corners and thrusts you out with raw power.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Work with what you've got until you can line up another lump. Still lots of fun but def not a street light racer.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Lightbulb wives

A big yes on that. After 43 years of marriage I have kind of become used to having a wife. I may try subliminal messaging while she sleeps. Wives simply do not get it. Maybe I should buy her the Morgan plus4 on BAT and then see. She loves the look.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by dwight45
A big yes on that. After 43 years of marriage I have kind of become used to having a wife. I may try subliminal messaging while she sleeps. Wives simply do not get it. Maybe I should buy her the Morgan plus4 on BAT and then see. She loves the look.
Never buy a woman a car by the look...buy it by how it drives for her...my wife loved the look of my '56 TR3 (same drive train as early Mogs) but she hated driving it.
I got her a '14 Mini Copper (I don't care for it, honestly a chic car) but she loves it....all the little light up gadgets etc....but it does have a nice 4 banger Bimmer turbo lump in it.

Just mess with the 3.0 a bit and then learn to drive it fast. Guys were kicking butt back in the day with 2.0-2.4's and some still do.
You can lighten the car up too if stock is not your thing...100 lbs.= about 10 hp.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:31 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Default Women buyers

You can't let them decide on the car. My experience was, one day I had an Accord LXI and the next a Civic Wagon. I didn't think Honda could make such an ugly car.

Quick Reply: 3.0L SSI/ cat bypass.