Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1974 Porsche 911 2.7 - Value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:37 AM
Boston 1878
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Porsche 911 2.7 - Value?

I went to look at a 1974 2.7 Porsche. It has 50k miles on the odometer, but by the looks of it, would guess its more like 150k. It would appear that engine and chassis is original. I do not believe this car has ever really been maintained correctly. It is 100% stock and original except it has a newer cassette deck radio. The back of the car has a Ducktail. It is not a "RS" as the front bumper is for a standard 911.

It starts right up and goes, blows out some white smoke initially and leaks some oil from a bunch of different points. The interior is pretty rough. The car has been repainted. I really like the car but is a "rough driver" car.

It is hard to figure out what these cars actually sell for. I see prices all over the place. Does anyone have any idea of some sort of price range?

Thank you guys and if there any girls on this forum, thank you to.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

It is true these cars are getting caught in the upsweep of values. Unfortunately the values of these cars are hugely dependant on the quality of the rebuild that they all absolutely require. If it hasn't been rebuilt you are looking at about 10-15k. It will require some machine shop work and a total rebuild. In addition these cars are prone to rust. So must be inspected very carefully Especially at the suspension points in the lower Pan As you can see based on if any of this work was done you are looking at a range from about 7500 to 20000. A car completely done should. Bring about 20k or even better. But one that needs massive engine work, rusted underneath. And beat up interior could be 7500 or even less I would recommend tons of research and a quality ppi by some familiar with middies.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

as Ice says, specifically with these years you absolutely need to know what you are buying. Sounds arrogant, but that fact you are asking a very basic question is probably a good indication to stay away from that car.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cosmetics get expensive if you dont do them yourself

Its before the cars were galvanized so rust is an issue really look at it well

Smoking when first starting when storing or not driving these cars is common, oil goes from the pan to the bottom of the engine.

All the engine oil lines need to be gone over im sure there leaking

Not sure if theres a front oil cooler if so thermostat and lines maybe leaking

Personally id pay 10-12k max for the car, since i do most of the work myself

If you pay 12k and have to put in 8 to make it a nice daily driver then maybe your better off buying a nice one for 20

Look at it like that

Plus we dont know about the tranny

Best idea would be to have it inspected if its more money

If you can score it cheap 8-9k jump on it

Quick Reply: 1974 Porsche 911 2.7 - Value?