Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introduction

I have been a lurker on the forum for a while and thought it time to join the group. I have an 82 SC that I have been driving for 18 years. It has been the coolest car I have owned and the only performance car. She ( she's my ship) has been showing the 150K miles and I decided she needed paint. I had a small bit of rust bubbling up on the drivers fender and a windshield leak on the passenger side. She has been in the shop for a week and I likely won't be driving until spring. Of course it has been sunny and cold for two days and perfect driving weather. She is being treated to a windows out/ bare metal respray. The color is Palisander Rosewood Metallic. My dilemma is should I stick with the factory color or paint her a color that I really like. I'm 69 and can't really see me blasting around the roads in my 80's so I will eventually sell her. There are a bazillion SC's out there for people to collect and factory color seems to be what some want. I like I like Irish Green very much but it's not an SC color. Opinions welcome due to their price. I also have a few power-up ideas but my wife is not on board for that.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

To retain value keep the original factory color. That will also blend well with the hidden sections which will not be re-sprayed. To keep value leave it stock and well maintained.

Palisander Rosewood Metallic is a nice SC color:

Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight45
I'm 69 and can't really see me blasting around the roads in my 80's
Why not? Paul Newman raced in the 24 hrs of Daytona at age 80...

factory color seems to be what some want.
I'm very new here and I don't want to speak out of turn, but I would say it's what pretty much everybody wants. As far as I'm concerned, if I read an ad that says"car was originally color x, but it's been repainted y", I stop reading and I move on.

I would say, like ADias said, if you care about resale value, keep it as pristine as possible. On the other hand, if you really want the car to be green and resale value be damned, go for it!
Old 01-01-2015, 09:28 PM
dwight45
Advanced

I agree that it is a nice color. I've never seen another around here.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome! Rosewood is a wonderful color.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Keep it the original color.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Good thread on Pelican about a proper paint job

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/389664-rosewood-gets-paint-job.html
Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Thanks for the support on the factory shade. That's what my wife wants. I am in love with a photograph of an Irish Green early car. I have seen a pic of a dark green SC and I like it also.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm 69 and can't really see me blasting around the roads in my 80's so I will eventually sell her
I'm one year younger than you and I've doing just that for the last 53 years (at somewhat high speeds) so I see no reason why you cannot do the same, if the mind is willing. Age is all about attitude.

Several friends are in their 80's and are still RACING and driving just the same as in their 20's.

Looks like a real nice car; leave the color alone and get out there and DRIVE it when the weather gets better.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I'm one year younger than you and I've doing just that for the last 53 years (at somewhat high speeds) so I see no reason why you cannot do the same, if the mind is willing. Age is all about attitude.

Several friends are in their 80's and are still RACING and driving just the same as in their 20's.

Looks like a real nice car; leave the color alone and get out there and DRIVE it when the weather gets better.
That's the spirit!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the support on the factory shade. That's what my wife wants. I am in love with a photograph of an Irish Green early car. I have seen a pic of a dark green SC and I like it also.
You only live once. Paint it whatever colour YOU want - forget what the next owner wants! If it means a few grand less when you sell, so be it... the car is not an investment in money, it's an investment in enjoyment and good memories.

EDIT: just read the part about what your wife wants. That may be the right choice in terms of an investment of "enjoyment and good memories" haha!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Pjd131
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Jonathan. She's your ship. Do what gives you pleasure. Enjoy it to its fullest and if for you that means a different colour, so be it.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

As suggested above, a color change done right is a major undertaking. Unless I wanted to spend the $$$ to do it right, I would just spend the money on a quality original color job. As it is, that in and of itself is not inexpensive.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 PM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree. Your car, your color choice. That said, Rosewood IS an awesome color and perfect on such a nice coupe.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
dwight45
Advanced

Default The color decision is now set in stone

I am sticking with Rosewood and for a number of reasons. It's already Brown all over, I like it, and it makes Scrooge happy. If I get to Scrooges pool and on to the diving board there will be trouble in Duckburg. I see a 3.6 sleeper. What I really want is unlimited mid range torque. I don't care about top speed but getting to highway speed without drama is appealing.
Speaking of appeals. I appeal to any SC drivers who have gone the SSI/ cat bypass route to tell me of their likes and dislikes. I am outside the DEQ landing net. OK i'm a bad citizen but it's a 911 for crimeny sakes.

Quick Reply: Introduction