Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Paint thickness

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 02:21 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint thickness

Been scouring the internet and it has been very hard to find an "official" paint thickness chart for the 3.2. Been reading that between 4-8 mil is the norm. Does anyone have their readings for an 84-86 coupe? There is a high mile (I imagine the greater the miles the greater chance of respray) 85 Coupe nearby that I am trying to schedule an appointment for. I assume the fenders would be the first offenders of thick paint.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

This is an area of great controversy as everyone has an opinion as to what values indicate "original" paint vs. repaint. A few things I have learned having inspected 100's of these cars over the years:

- These cars were painted by hand by a person named Hans or Franz. As such there is variability car to car and panel to panel. Late model Porsche's (986-996 to current) were painted in a factory with robotically applied paint, as such these cars have VERY consistent paint meter readings as there is no human variation painter to painter and day to day. These late model cars will read between 4-5 mils almost without exception.

-I own 3 3.2 cars that have 100% original paint and they meter between a low of 3.5mils to a high of about 6.5 mils.

-The most important thing on any particular car is that it is consistent panel to panel. So for example I usually grab a reading in the door jam as a baseline number, this is usually the lowest you will find anywhere on the car, usually in the range of 2.5-4mils. I go over each panel, at least 5-6 readings on various spots on each panel, I want to see a tight range of values. So if I see between 4-5 mils on all panels and then one panel pops up 8 or higher, I inspect closer. Usually you can then see evidence of repair/repaint. However if I am metering a car and it meters slightly higher but fairly consistent, say 5.5-7mils but it does on every panel and had a higher range reading in the jams (say 5mils) and the texture and consistency of the paint looks "right" I would believe that to be original paint. It just seems some had more paint then others.

-Usually it will be fairly obvious, you will find a range of 4-6mils and a panel shows an 11. You start testing in more spots on the same panel and you might find even higher. Thats definitive. I have never seen OE paint read higher than about a 7.

- Dont rely solely on your paint meter, use a critical eye and a LED spotlight. On these cars they have a fair amount of orange peel. Make sure all the panels match for orange peel, look for areas where you can see where they were blended (look in obvious blend areas A pillars, C pillars, headlight bucket to fender area, etc), look for masking lines in the jams (LED light really helps here). If a panel was replaced or stripped down to bare metal and no filler applied I have seen them meter in the range of 4-5mils, so again inspect everything.

-How rare is original paint- In my experience better than 50% of sellers will tell you there car has original paint. When you ask them on what basis are they making that claim, they usually say "it sure looks original". I find they are usually being honest, they just don't have the tools to make the definitive answer on the subject. In my experience less than 5% of air-cooled cars truly have 100% original paint. Its VERY rare.

- Obsessing over original paint- If that is what you want be prepared to pay a fairly dear premium. I know many of the people in these forums will tell you that the high prices some of these cars trade for don't happen, but in my experience the truly top 1% cars with verified original paint bring a exponential premium and trade hands behind the scenes. On my cars I am obsessed with original paint and I will pay the premium to get it, is that worth it? Only a person can decide that, it is for me but for a driver quality car I wouldn't necessarily get spun up on it.

-Repairs done at the port or selling dealer- One area that is really gray that rarely gets talked about is the cars that had paint repair done at the factory, the port or the selling dealer. Back in the air-cooled days these cars were shipped RORO (roll on roll off) on the deck of a ship. I worked at a Porsche dealer back in this era and probably 10-20% of the cars showed up with flaws of some kind (minor scratches, flaws in the factory applied paint, etc) . We never gave it a 2nd thought, they were new and expensive cars and customers wanted them flawless. We sent them to the body shop and had repairs made. This also happened before we got them at the port. Were customers ever told? No. It just didn't matter then.

Long answer to your question, hopefully it helps!
The following users liked this post:
Gabe150 (02-11-2024)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great post.

Last edited by RPMzen; 12-29-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nathan1 - would be interested to hear your valuation of the top 5 percentile as I am looking at a couple. PM if you prefer.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on what you intend to do with the car.

Are you are looking for a National Concours winning trailer queen, or a nice driver?

These are two different markets... prepare to pay 100% price premium for the former, (and take a $20K hit if a bird craps on it...), and lack of use may cause mechanical issues.

These cars are approaching 30 years old. they get stone chips, door dings and scratches.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a car with first-rate professional paint repair or even a full respray. If anything, this indicates a careful owner who did not cut corners.

Now shoddy, cheap paint is another matter entirely, but a top notch body/paint guy can tell you at PPI.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
This is an area of great controversy as everyone has an opinion as to what values indicate "original" paint vs. repaint. A few things I have learned having inspected 100's of these cars over the years:

- These cars were painted by hand by a person named Hans or Franz. As such there is variability car to car and panel to panel. Late model Porsche's (986-996 to current) were painted in a factory with robotically applied paint, as such these cars have VERY consistent paint meter readings as there is no human variation painter to painter and day to day. These late model cars will read between 4-5 mils almost without exception.

-I own 3 3.2 cars that have 100% original paint and they meter between a low of 3.5mils to a high of about 6.5 mils.

-The most important thing on any particular car is that it is consistent panel to panel. So for example I usually grab a reading in the door jam as a baseline number, this is usually the lowest you will find anywhere on the car, usually in the range of 2.5-4mils. I go over each panel, at least 5-6 readings on various spots on each panel, I want to see a tight range of values. So if I see between 4-5 mils on all panels and then one panel pops up 8 or higher, I inspect closer. Usually you can then see evidence of repair/repaint. However if I am metering a car and it meters slightly higher but fairly consistent, say 5.5-7mils but it does on every panel and had a higher range reading in the jams (say 5mils) and the texture and consistency of the paint looks "right" I would believe that to be original paint. It just seems some had more paint then others.

-Usually it will be fairly obvious, you will find a range of 4-6mils and a panel shows an 11. You start testing in more spots on the same panel and you might find even higher. Thats definitive. I have never seen OE paint read higher than about a 7.

- Dont rely solely on your paint meter, use a critical eye and a LED spotlight. On these cars they have a fair amount of orange peel. Make sure all the panels match for orange peel, look for areas where you can see where they were blended (look in obvious blend areas A pillars, C pillars, headlight bucket to fender area, etc), look for masking lines in the jams (LED light really helps here). If a panel was replaced or stripped down to bare metal and no filler applied I have seen them meter in the range of 4-5mils, so again inspect everything.

-How rare is original paint- In my experience better than 50% of sellers will tell you there car has original paint. When you ask them on what basis are they making that claim, they usually say "it sure looks original". I find they are usually being honest, they just don't have the tools to make the definitive answer on the subject. In my experience less than 5% of air-cooled cars truly have 100% original paint. Its VERY rare.

- Obsessing over original paint- If that is what you want be prepared to pay a fairly dear premium. I know many of the people in these forums will tell you that the high prices some of these cars trade for don't happen, but in my experience the truly top 1% cars with verified original paint bring a exponential premium and trade hands behind the scenes. On my cars I am obsessed with original paint and I will pay the premium to get it, is that worth it? Only a person can decide that, it is for me but for a driver quality car I wouldn't necessarily get spun up on it.

-Repairs done at the port or selling dealer- One area that is really gray that rarely gets talked about is the cars that had paint repair done at the factory, the port or the selling dealer. Back in the air-cooled days these cars were shipped RORO (roll on roll off) on the deck of a ship. I worked at a Porsche dealer back in this era and probably 10-20% of the cars showed up with flaws of some kind (minor scratches, flaws in the factory applied paint, etc) . We never gave it a 2nd thought, they were new and expensive cars and customers wanted them flawless. We sent them to the body shop and had repairs made. This also happened before we got them at the port. Were customers ever told? No. It just didn't matter then.

Long answer to your question, hopefully it helps!
Awesome post. Wish I would have spoken to you 2 years ago when I let a very special car slip thru my hands........ Ugh.......
Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM
sjgreco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met Nathan at this years Parade in Monterey and saw his stunning 88 red original coupe. A few weeks ago he was in the Sacramento area on business and he came by my home to talk cars. He put his meter on my 89 coupe and I was happy with his comments.

If you buy a 911 from Nathan you can be sure it is solid well sorted car. He is passionate about Porsches and most important is very honest.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great post Nathan. I'll second that Nathan is one of the most knowledgable guys I've met in this hobby and one of the best resources on this forum.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Nathan: Great post. If you allow me these two questions:

What is your experience with the average condition of original paint cars (3.2 - '84-'89 generation)? What type of scars is still acceptable?

Also... Is it acceptable to repaint front valances and side mirrors peppered with road chips on an otherwise acceptable original paint car?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:48 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Nathan: Great post. If you allow me these two questions:

What is your experience with the average condition of original paint cars (3.2 - '84-'89 generation)? What type of scars is still acceptable?

Also... Is it acceptable to repaint front valances and side mirrors peppered with road chips on an otherwise acceptable original paint car?
Again these answers all boil down to how you want to use the car and whats important to you. For me personally I have cars that are 100% perfect, original and pristine and I have those that I have modified to my taste and get driven rain or shine.

The question of what is the "average condition" of these cars with original paint varies widely. I have an SC that has over 100k miles and the paint is all original and INSANELY nice, frankly I can't figure how the original owner drove it all those miles with minimal chips, no scratches, etc. If I told someone it had 20k miles they would believe me. On the other hand I have seen cars with very low original miles and the paint shows lots of chips, nicks, scratches, etc. Its a combination of how it was cared for and where/when it was driven.

The challenge with original paint is the constant fight between originality and condition. I HATE when I go to shows and there is a car that the owner is super proud of the fact that his car is a "survivor" or has original paint and there are more chips than paint. In my book its only a "Survivor" IF it SURVIVED WELL! For cars like that I would rather have a well executed re-spray, just too ugly to tolerate.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the guys who have dirty cars, covered with chips/dings who wear them like a badge of honor, that is AWESOME! They aren't trying to make a statement about the aesthetic condition of their car, they are making a statement of how much they enjoy DRIVING their cars! I have total respect for this.

As i indicated before, my experience tells me less than 5% of these cars are truly wearing all original paint. Now how many of those are wearing all original and nearly flawless original paint? Thats a VERY small number.

For the original paint cars with "scars" I try my best to preserve original paint if its possible with minor corrections such as well executed touch up, painless dent repair, paint correction, etc. If I can't get the car to a level where the average person would consider the car to be "very nice" then I would move to doing paint work. Some people consider bumpers, valences and mirrors to be "freebies" and don't count. I think they do, but I would much rather have those items painted than for example a quarter panel, door, fender, etc.

Here are 2 of my 3.2 and a 911SC with original paint:

My 1988 I showed at Parade 2014:

My Black 86 3.2 Carrera Coupe:

1981 911SC, 117k miles. It helps that its a light color (Chiffon) but the original owner was just VERY careful (and a little lucky!). It has a few minor chips I have touched up but looks better than most 20k miles cars:

Lest anyone think I only have perfect cars, here is my FAVORITE 911 I own. Its a 1971 911E in Ivory that is wearing original paint and lots of chips. Just don't want to make it perfect because I love driving it!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Nathan: Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Outstanding post. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each panel should be nearly the same, i believe its single stage paint on these cars meaning no clear coat, few i've done have averaged 4-5 each panel

Clean it real well and keep that paint protected

You can do a lot to bring single stage paint back to life
Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Starbuckslova1
Each panel should be nearly the same, i believe its single stage paint on these cars meaning no clear coat, few i've done have averaged 4-5 each panel

Clean it real well and keep that paint protected

You can do a lot to bring single stage paint back to life

When did Porsche switch to two-stage (color+clearcoat) paint?

My '86 Indian Red appears to be single stage

Last edited by ADias; 01-03-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added color info
Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Not sure but my copper brown metallic is base-clear, its a 78. May have been colour dependant rather than a straight year changeover.

Quick Reply: Paint thickness