Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Price Guidance - 1987 Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Marc, those BBS wheels don't do much for me, but I'll need to sell the 944 before I can think about replacing them. Hopefully PorscheHeaven will have a decent price on some nicer ones.

Regarding selling the 944, it was a difficult decision that I had to make before going after the Carrera Targa. I am looking to pare down in my total vehicle quantity, and wanted a Porsche for a daily driver. The Carrera has 120k miles and is more 'used'. My 944 only has 54.5k miles and is excellent in/out. I decided that I just did not want to subject such a nice condition car to the rigors and dangers of the Silicon Valley commute. I know that someone out there is looking for a beautiful low mileage 944 that they can use for weekend/good weather driving only. My 944 will therefore have more value to them than it does to me, and can stay in great condition longer than if it became my daily driver. Also, although I fit more comfortably in the 944 as compared to the 911, I like the feel of the 911 a little better.

Now we'll just have to see whether the 911 can be as reliable as the 944 has been...

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

For the record my top does not leak!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by Trader220
For the record my top does not leak!
Not one drop, ever! c'mon!
Old 08-27-2003, 02:17 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

He's prolly not driving the car in the rain. That's easy.

George
Old 08-27-2003, 04:12 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I got the PPI (Post-Purchase Inspection) done this morning. Nothing of any major consequence. I am going to have a major service done just because we don't have any baseline service history - All fluids and filters changed, valves adjusted, tune-up, etc. Also will get the A/C system topped up, fix a couple of minor oil leaks when they are in there, and they will do the Cal smog check - All for <$2300!

Also, although the PO did not know this, the car has factory LSD. I'm stoked!

Tom
Old 08-27-2003, 05:27 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Great news on the Post PI!

Also, although the PO did not know this, the car has factory LSD. I'm stoked!
Hehe, so does mine! I saw it in the window sticker documents while thumping through there. My friends were about to kill me when I told them I had it.... A good used LSD to put latere (e.g. when your trans is out for rebuild or clutch) costs about $1800 at the dismantlers! In 81 LSD was a $600 option, so it is truly rare from the factory! I would be interested in numbers but can't imagine that more than 10% of the cars were ordered with it.

Cheers, George
Old 08-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Tom, congrats but this thread is HURTING me.

My neighbor has his '89 for sale - just like yours -Targa, Guards/Black, same tail, and he keeps pinging on me to buy it. His car is immaculate in and out-as your picture looks. It has 80K miles, new clutch, fuly serviced, no leaks at all that I can tell, new Bilsteins and bars, fully polished Fuchs (I prefer the black masking) and a Nakamoto (sic?) stereo that is supposed to be a big thing - isn't to me. He wanted $20K but dropped it to $18K for me. It runs strong, smooth, oh, and has a newly redone Targa top - no leaks.
My two kids are both in their last year of college or I'd be on this car in a flash (even though a Coupe is my first choice - no offense). Just out of curiosity, what do you think of that price?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:46 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Depending on what you want I might say that for $18k you should go for a 964. If a second one had been in my budget I would have loved a C2 to go along with the C4. I love the way that the '87 Carrera drives from the 3 hour drive bringing it home (was that really 3 hours?), but I drove the C4 to work this morning and it puts an even bigger grin on my face. And I've seen some very interesting C2's/C4's out there for <$20k these days.

The 964's have previously gotten an undeserved bad rep for the teething problems they had, but in many cases those were overblown and I think that the 964 is probably the best value right now.

Tom

Quick Reply: Price Guidance - 1987 Carrera Targa