Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

door pockets

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014 | 10:27 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Default door pockets

i can imagine this is a common problem, though haven't seen anything relating to this in the search areas...
pockets on both doors, where the flip up lid closes on, seem to be losing their shape, bowing out in the middle so that the lids no longer close nice and even on the pocket... these are laid up fiberglass i think and at 30 years they are losing it...i have seen many others just in passing though that are still straight and closing nicely...is there a fix short of buying new ones as they come apart with just 4 screws, tia as always, kk
Old 12-07-2014 | 03:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Not sure what one would do if found warped. Of course, there may be a fix out there.

Do make sure that latching system is working properly and that all pocket screws are tight and biting nicely.

Doyle
Old 12-08-2014 | 07:13 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

well, yes, they are holding well, but the problem is at the top of the pieces, they are bowing, haven't seen this before, though haven't been looking either...hooping for a response here with a possible fix short of just adding $...
Old 12-08-2014 | 07:01 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

The original pockets were made of a compressed type of cardboard. Their failure is a common problem.

I believe you can purchase fibreglass ones that you cover with your original trim.

Alternatively, if there's a way you can hold your old ones in the correct shape for 6 hours you can paint some epoxy and cloth to the inside top lip ( lift the trip up on the inside to do this. Then glue back down afterwards) this will reinforce where the lid meets when it's closed.
Old 12-09-2014 | 12:00 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Those pockets are easy to remove. Remove the carpet covering, then shape them the way you want them with epoxy or additional layers of fiberglass over the factory cardboard. Re-glue the carpet.
Old 12-09-2014 | 03:50 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

thanks gentlemen, and ladies...never know who's who out there, i will be re–manning these as i go, these 'little things' contribute to a nicer, cleaner looking...car? but its more than just a car...well, to me, anyway, whatever, there will be a few of these little fixes...next...?well, the color of 'linen' in the carpets doesn't lend itself to a sharp, clean looking interior, so far, hmmm,

Quick Reply: door pockets