front wheel bearing questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:02 PM
deven07
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post front wheel bearing questions

Hiyas,

Well spring sprung up here in northern MI, so I got my '71 911T out, been driving it to work the last few days...it seemed to be running great untill this morning, when it felt like I had a left front tire blow out while I was going down the highway at about 70mph. The car lurched left, steering wheel started shaking badly...I pulled over, no blown tires, no visible damage, hanging parts, etc, so I nursed it slowly (with what seemed to be barely any breaking capability in the front), to the shop across from my office...with the car jacked up the front left wheel moves around like a bobblehead doll!

I'm thinking it's at least a wheel bearing, so I've gone ahead and ordered inner and outer bearings and seals for both sides (might as well do em both - with 4 bearings, 2 seals, grease and shipping it was only $65 bucks!) but Im not sure, was wondering from these symptoms do you think I'm on the right track? The lack of breaks worries me, but there was no visible damage or fluid to calipers, break lines, etc...could this just be a byproduct of the bad bearing?

Also, does anyone know of a online walk through for replacing front wheel bearings? Thanks for your help!

Jamie
Old 03-31-2003, 12:52 AM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It 's not that hard, except for pressing the new races in. If you don't have the factory repair manuals, or the Bentley, or haynes manual, do a search on the Pelican site for a step by step walkthrough. If you don't have a press, you will have to pay or find someone to do it for free.

Do one side at a time, so that you can compare in case you run into trouble.

Something i do to if I'm doing a job I'm not 100% on, is take digital pics, so that i can go back and see how it was in case i run into trouble. Helped me a few times on brain stumpers.

Quick Reply: front wheel bearing questions