Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil lines cold when engine is hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

ok, good. Let us know what you find. Any don't even think about unscrewing the big plug for the main thermostat insert using the slot in it. Simply won't work.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 AM
Kishme79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone I replaced my thermostat and it seems to have done the trick. Once engine is warm the oil lines are hot so the thermostat is working. Also the oil pressure came down once it does warm up. The car is running great. Thank you everyone for the help. Now I am back on the search for some 8x16 fuchs wheels.

My 86 911
Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice - Terrific community with great resources.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I spy a California plate...where you at?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Please do share in the adventure .. did you do it yourself ? how hard was it to get apart ?

or did you just get the cheque book out ?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Kishme79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly I got my check book out. I needed to get it done fast for a road trip. I live in LA and drove to paso Robles. Fantastic drive.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
If the front t-stat were stuck shut, one of the lines would likely be warm and the other cold.

If both lines are cold, then the t-stat on the engine is likely stuck shut.
Scott, I think that the oil line t-stat being stuck would have both lines being cold. The onboard t-stat won't influence the oil lines.

Originally Posted by upier
The high oil pressure seems to support the bad thermostat theory. That is one of the reasons why you don't go over 4k before the car is warm, high oil pressure before the therm opens.
The engine operating pressure would not go up with a bad t-stat. Oil pressure doesn't open the stat, temp does. THE reason you don't go into high RPM's is to allow the motor to warm up evenly, and get all the metal bits into temp equilibrium.

Just another note, typically an over-heating car will thin the oil and pressure will go down.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Ed, good point. In my mind I thought there was a t-stat on the front cooler that would drive this behavior.

Old age is getting the better of me
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kishme79
Sadly I got my check book out. I needed to get it done fast for a road trip. I live in LA and drove to paso Robles. Fantastic drive.
Wow, it seems that the oil cooler thermostat is like a $400 part. Were you charged about that much by your mechanic?

Seems like an example of a crazy price for a simple part.
Are there any alternatives to buying an OEM Porsche 'stat?

How common is it for this part to fail?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Wow, it seems that the oil cooler thermostat is like a $400 part. Were you charged about that much by your mechanic?

Seems like an example of a crazy price for a simple part.
Are there any alternatives to buying an OEM Porsche 'stat?

How common is it for this part to fail?
it is not a cheap part .. but then again you are not driving a cheap car, thay can and do fail from time to time on some cars. not really enought data to predict a probability though.

This is why there are so many threads on pelican about this. Sometimes you are into other specialized hardware and oil lines too.. they can get damaged or cut off during removal.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 PM
HorstP
Instructor

zero need to replace the whole thermostat, just the inner part needs to be replaced. And that is not expensive.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HorstP
zero need to replace the whole thermostat, just the inner part needs to be replaced. And that is not expensive.
Agreed but many are damaged beyond repair trying to get that cap off. Many are bonded with heat and time.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:07 PM
HorstP
Instructor

sure, some are beyond repair. The nice thing about the cap however is that it is like the thermostat body itself out of aluminum. So no bad contact corrosion like with aluminum and steel. The trick to remove the cap with the thermostat in place is using the biggest possible pipe wrench. The trick when the thing is removed from the car is using a fine saw blade and carefully saw the metal gasket between the thermostat body and the cap. This will remove the tension and the cap can be unscrewed relatively easily. As you said, if they are heavily corroded, nothing will help.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HorstP
sure, some are beyond repair. The nice thing about the cap however is that it is like the thermostat body itself out of aluminum. So no bad contact corrosion like with aluminum and steel. The trick to remove the cap with the thermostat in place is using the biggest possible pipe wrench. The trick when the thing is removed from the car is using a fine saw blade and carefully saw the metal gasket between the thermostat body and the cap. This will remove the tension and the cap can be unscrewed relatively easily. As you said, if they are heavily corroded, nothing will help.
Any tips on getting off the flex line from the stat that goes to the hard line ?
i just dropped my engine and was thinking about replacing this line that goes to the external stat ( SC ) but looks challenging. the flex end is "sweating "
Old 12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
HorstP
Instructor

the only tip I have for that one is using a Dremel and cut (or almost cut) thru the nut. Then use a larger screwdriver and break the nut open. I would not even try to turn the steel nut on the aluminium regulator body with any kind of wrenches. It will almost guarantee to ruin the threads.

Quick Reply: Oil lines cold when engine is hot