Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine/Clutch Replacement in '01 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003 | 06:59 PM
NoCalGuy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine/Clutch Replacement in '01 Cab

Wondering what others have heard/experienced on engine and clutch replacements in late-model 996s.

I have a 01 Cab with 15k miles that I took in for a small oil leak and an annual service. Dealer called to say that (i) the leak is not fixable and a new engine is on the way, (ii) my clutch is almost shot and I should replace it now (want to charge for me parts only, given that my car is sitting is pieces already at the dealer) and (iii) my rear tires need replacing.

A search of the forums suggests that the engine replacement is not common, but not unheard of. That's shocking enough. A new clutch at 15k seems a bit much as well. Not driving it that hard -- it is a Porsche after all but I'm not taking it for laps on the track.

Any reaction to my situation? Could the clutch and engine leak be related? Anybody know if Porsche uses new engines or "refurbished" engines for replacements? What kind of warranty extention, if any, do they offer?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

John
Old 08-19-2003 | 07:27 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the new clutch while everything is out.

Here some speculation. Take it with a grain of salt and see what the gurus have to say: Leaking oil can be related to a clutch needing replacement! The dealer didn't tell you if the clutch was worn or soaked in oil, did he? I am not very familiar with the flat six but if it leaks in a place that calls for engine replacement, it may as well be a main seal, which happens to be next to the clutch? You may want to find out after hearing other's opinions. If the bad seal let oil leak over the clutch, Porsche will have to pay the bill for the clutch also.

Now, if the clutch is plain worn, along with your rear tires, are you sure you didn't do too many 5000 rpm clutch drops? Do you have a teenage son drive it or a wife that likes to stop-sign race?

Good Luck, George

Quick Reply: Engine/Clutch Replacement in '01 Cab