Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's the difference 1974 911 v 1974 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Aroq
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,

I would love to have a look at your car. I would also be interested in getting some cars together. You can e-mail me @ aroq@yahoo.com, or I can contact you.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Didnt want to start a new thread. Couple of questions on the 74 Carrera:

- According to the 911 Red Book, sport shocks were standard on the Carrera. Im guessing these were the Boge shocks? From what Ive researched you could also upgrade to the Bilsteins or Konis, but am I correct in that the "standard" shocks were still "sport shocks" compared to the base and S?

- How much did the Recaro sport seats option cost in 74? Ive looked but come up empty. Didnt seem like a popular option.

Thx
Chris
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride

- According to the 911 Red Book, sport shocks were standard on the Carrera. Im guessing these were the Boge shocks? From what Ive researched you could also upgrade to the Bilsteins or Konis, but am I correct in that the "standard" shocks were still "sport shocks" compared to the base and S?

- How much did the Recaro sport seats option cost in 74? Ive looked but come up empty. Didnt seem like a popular option.

Thx
Chris
It depended on the year and market but for most stock shocks for all 911 including Carrera were Boge exceptions were the original 2.7 Carrera RS which had Bilstein, not sure for '74 & 75 but by '76 Boge was std for Carrera(& all other 911) w/ the Bilstein option
there were several shocks options
404 was Koni
477 was Sport shocks, these were Bilstein
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride

Thx
Chris
Hi Chris,

If one ordered sport shocks, you would get either Koni or Bilstein, depending on what was on hand at the moment. No choice. As Bill said, standard shocks were always Boge.

Very few cars sold with sport seats; I've only seen two.

(still have my '74 Carrera that I bought new)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

OK thanks. Appears the shocks are Bilsteins. Car Im messing around with also has the sport seats. Ive looked everywhere but cant find the 1974 price. They were $90 on the '73 911T but thats a different gen car.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Is there a great reference book for 74-75 carrera? I have a red book but I am not 100% sure of the accuracy. I also have 74 and 75 carrera sales brochures but they show European cars which may not be an accurate reflection of our US models.

I have some specific questions on wheels, mirrors and headlights:

WHEELS:
Someone posted that wheel color should match script color, Is that accurate?
When did 74/ 75 carreras go with all black centers or body paint centers vs. bare pedals?
What colors should the wheels be if you have a script delete car?

MIRROR:
COA 's do not reflect drivers door mirror being chrome vs, painted vs anodized black. How do you know what is correct?

HEADLIGHTS
Red Book states 74 carrera should have body paint color sugar scopes, is that accurate?
Did any Carrera 74/ 75 come with H4's
Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Speedster911
Is there a great reference book for 74-75 carrera? I have a red book but I am not 100% sure of the accuracy. I also have 74 and 75 carrera sales brochures but they show European cars which may not be an accurate reflection of our US models.

I have some specific questions on wheels, mirrors and headlights:

WHEELS:
Someone posted that wheel color should match script color, Is that accurate?
When did 74/ 75 carreras go with all black centers or body paint centers vs. bare pedals?
What colors should the wheels be if you have a script delete car?

MIRROR:
COA 's do not reflect drivers door mirror being chrome vs, painted vs anodized black. How do you know what is correct?

HEADLIGHTS
Red Book states 74 carrera should have body paint color sugar scopes, is that accurate?
Did any Carrera 74/ 75 come with H4's
FWIW,.....

I've found a LOT of misinformation about these cars on the Internet so I would filter what you read.

There are fewer differences between the US & ROW Carrera's than you think, almost all of it is focused on the power train and a few DOT-specific parts needed for North American sales.

The only correct book I've seen on the G-series Carrera's is Ryan Snodgrasse's "Carrera 2.7" book. While not inexpensive, its THE written authority on the G-series Carrera, mostly ROW but with some US info too.

Carrera wheels were black or gold centered; some dealers installed silver ones as well.

US Carrera side mirrors were all black (painted)

US Carrera's came with DOT sealed-beam headlights and chrome "sugar scoops". Again, many dealers installed either Bosch H4 or H1 headlight assemblies.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I agree on the misinformation out there!

I assume your 74 Carrera is black painted mirror and came with chrome sugar scopes and black wheels... is that correct?

I spoke to someone else who purchased their 74 carrea new- it has chrome mirror, black wheels/ gold script and body color sugar scopes. Claims that's how it was delivered.

I am being OCD about this but trying to get it right
Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I agree on the misinformation out there!

I assume your 74 Carrera is black painted mirror and came with chrome sugar scopes and black wheels... is that correct?

I spoke to someone else who purchased their 74 carrea new- it has chrome mirror, black wheels/ gold script and body color sugar scopes. Claims that's how it was delivered.

I am being OCD about this but trying to get it right
Yessir, its triple black.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

This is a pretty cool thread. Here we are, almost 15 years after the OP started it, and Steve, Bill, Grant, and Toby are still as active as ever, with almost 33,000 posts between the four of you. As for the OP, well he disappeared after seven posts.

Mark
Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Yessir, its triple black.
Steve,

Did your car come with fog lights? if so, chrome or black?

Thanks for the guidance
Old 04-07-2018, 01:23 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Steve,

Did your car come with fog lights? if so, chrome or black?

Thanks for the guidance
No,..I didn't order them.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

+1 to Ryan’s book. It is THE source for middie Carreras.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Here are some pics of mid '70's Carrera
from C&D an early US '74 Carrera, early US cars used a version of the ducktail introduced on the '73 Carrera RS, by the end of the model they had transitioned to the whaletail(though '75 was the first official year for the whaletail), equipment and trim were market specific, US Carrera 2.7CIS got black trim, supposed to be on mirror too, wheels were optionally available in black or gold, side lettering in black or gold

A MFI euro '74, TÜV prohibited the ducktail in Germany these were the first to get the whaletail

another euro MFI '74 Carrera, either a very early one or someone sapped the '74 US tail on to it

'75 euro Carrera, these were supposed to have black trim, but I've seen these w/ chrome as late as the SC's

'76 Carrera 3.0

'77 Carrera 3.0
Old 04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

All of the cars you posted Bill are IMHO still sexy. The styling and colors rival anything created today

What tires is everyone using on US Carrera stock rims?

Quick Reply: What's the difference 1974 911 v 1974 Carrera?