Notices
911 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's the difference 1974 911 v 1974 Carrera?

 
Old 08-26-2003, 07:15 PM
  #31  
Aroq
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Encinitas, Ca
Posts: 7
Default

Jason,

I would love to have a look at your car. I would also be interested in getting some cars together. You can e-mail me @ [email protected], or I can contact you.
Aroq is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:06 AM
  #32  
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
UDPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 10,641
Default

Didnt want to start a new thread. Couple of questions on the 74 Carrera:

- According to the 911 Red Book, sport shocks were standard on the Carrera. Im guessing these were the Boge shocks? From what Ive researched you could also upgrade to the Bilsteins or Konis, but am I correct in that the "standard" shocks were still "sport shocks" compared to the base and S?

- How much did the Recaro sport seats option cost in 74? Ive looked but come up empty. Didnt seem like a popular option.

Thx
Chris
UDPride is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM
  #33  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,939
Default

Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
Didnt want to start a new thread. Couple of questions on the 74 Carrera:

- According to the 911 Red Book, sport shocks were standard on the Carrera. Im guessing these were the Boge shocks? From what Ive researched you could also upgrade to the Bilsteins or Konis, but am I correct in that the "standard" shocks were still "sport shocks" compared to the base and S?

- How much did the Recaro sport seats option cost in 74? Ive looked but come up empty. Didnt seem like a popular option.

Thx
Chris
It depended on the year and market but for most stock shocks for all 911 including Carrera were Boge exceptions were the original 2.7 Carrera RS which had Bilstein, not sure for '74 & 75 but by '76 Boge was std for Carrera(& all other 911) w/ the Bilstein option
there were several shocks options
404 was Koni
477 was Sport shocks, these were Bilstein
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 PM
  #34  
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor
 
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 11,835
Default

Originally Posted by UDPride View Post
Didnt want to start a new thread. Couple of questions on the 74 Carrera:

- According to the 911 Red Book, sport shocks were standard on the Carrera. Im guessing these were the Boge shocks? From what Ive researched you could also upgrade to the Bilsteins or Konis, but am I correct in that the "standard" shocks were still "sport shocks" compared to the base and S?

- How much did the Recaro sport seats option cost in 74? Ive looked but come up empty. Didnt seem like a popular option.

Thx
Chris
Hi Chris,

If one ordered sport shocks, you would get either Koni or Bilstein, depending on what was on hand at the moment. No choice. As Bill said, standard shocks were always Boge.

Very few cars sold with sport seats; I've only seen two.

(still have my '74 Carrera that I bought new)
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems is offline  
Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 PM
  #35  
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
UDPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 10,641
Default

OK thanks. Appears the shocks are Bilsteins. Car Im messing around with also has the sport seats. Ive looked everywhere but cant find the 1974 price. They were $90 on the '73 911T but thats a different gen car.
UDPride is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
  #36  
Speedster911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedster911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 576
Default

Is there a great reference book for 74-75 carrera? I have a red book but I am not 100% sure of the accuracy. I also have 74 and 75 carrera sales brochures but they show European cars which may not be an accurate reflection of our US models.

I have some specific questions on wheels, mirrors and headlights:

WHEELS:
Someone posted that wheel color should match script color, Is that accurate?
When did 74/ 75 carreras go with all black centers or body paint centers vs. bare pedals?
What colors should the wheels be if you have a script delete car?

MIRROR:
COA 's do not reflect drivers door mirror being chrome vs, painted vs anodized black. How do you know what is correct?

HEADLIGHTS
Red Book states 74 carrera should have body paint color sugar scopes, is that accurate?
Did any Carrera 74/ 75 come with H4's
Speedster911 is online now  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 PM
  #37  
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor
 
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 11,835
Default

Originally Posted by Speedster911 View Post
Is there a great reference book for 74-75 carrera? I have a red book but I am not 100% sure of the accuracy. I also have 74 and 75 carrera sales brochures but they show European cars which may not be an accurate reflection of our US models.

I have some specific questions on wheels, mirrors and headlights:

WHEELS:
Someone posted that wheel color should match script color, Is that accurate?
When did 74/ 75 carreras go with all black centers or body paint centers vs. bare pedals?
What colors should the wheels be if you have a script delete car?

MIRROR:
COA 's do not reflect drivers door mirror being chrome vs, painted vs anodized black. How do you know what is correct?

HEADLIGHTS
Red Book states 74 carrera should have body paint color sugar scopes, is that accurate?
Did any Carrera 74/ 75 come with H4's
FWIW,.....

I've found a LOT of misinformation about these cars on the Internet so I would filter what you read.

There are fewer differences between the US & ROW Carrera's than you think, almost all of it is focused on the power train and a few DOT-specific parts needed for North American sales.

The only correct book I've seen on the G-series Carrera's is Ryan Snodgrasse's "Carrera 2.7" book. While not inexpensive, its THE written authority on the G-series Carrera, mostly ROW but with some US info too.

Carrera wheels were black or gold centered; some dealers installed silver ones as well.

US Carrera side mirrors were all black (painted)

US Carrera's came with DOT sealed-beam headlights and chrome "sugar scoops". Again, many dealers installed either Bosch H4 or H1 headlight assemblies.
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 PM
  #38  
Speedster911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedster911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 576
Default

Steve,

Thanks for your response. I agree on the misinformation out there!

I assume your 74 Carrera is black painted mirror and came with chrome sugar scopes and black wheels... is that correct?

I spoke to someone else who purchased their 74 carrea new- it has chrome mirror, black wheels/ gold script and body color sugar scopes. Claims that's how it was delivered.

I am being OCD about this but trying to get it right
Speedster911 is online now  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 PM
  #39  
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor
 
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 11,835
Default

Originally Posted by Speedster911 View Post
Steve,

Thanks for your response. I agree on the misinformation out there!

I assume your 74 Carrera is black painted mirror and came with chrome sugar scopes and black wheels... is that correct?

I spoke to someone else who purchased their 74 carrea new- it has chrome mirror, black wheels/ gold script and body color sugar scopes. Claims that's how it was delivered.

I am being OCD about this but trying to get it right
Yessir, its triple black.
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems is offline  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 PM
  #40  
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Mark Salvetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 586
Default

This is a pretty cool thread. Here we are, almost 15 years after the OP started it, and Steve, Bill, Grant, and Toby are still as active as ever, with almost 33,000 posts between the four of you. As for the OP, well he disappeared after seven posts.

Mark
Mark Salvetti is online now  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 PM
  #41  
Speedster911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedster911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 576
Default

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems View Post
Yessir, its triple black.
Steve,

Did your car come with fog lights? if so, chrome or black?

Thanks for the guidance
Speedster911 is online now  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:23 AM
  #42  
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor
 
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 11,835
Default

Originally Posted by Speedster911 View Post
Steve,

Did your car come with fog lights? if so, chrome or black?

Thanks for the guidance
No,..I didn't order them.
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM
  #43  
GTgears
Super User
 
GTgears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 5,068
Default

+1 to Ryan’s book. It is THE source for middie Carreras.
GTgears is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:53 AM
  #44  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,939
Default

Here are some pics of mid '70's Carrera
from C&D an early US '74 Carrera, early US cars used a version of the ducktail introduced on the '73 Carrera RS, by the end of the model they had transitioned to the whaletail(though '75 was the first official year for the whaletail), equipment and trim were market specific, US Carrera 2.7CIS got black trim, supposed to be on mirror too, wheels were optionally available in black or gold, side lettering in black or gold


A MFI euro '74, T▄V prohibited the ducktail in Germany these were the first to get the whaletail


another euro MFI '74 Carrera, either a very early one or someone sapped the '74 US tail on to it


'75 euro Carrera, these were supposed to have black trim, but I've seen these w/ chrome as late as the SC's


'76 Carrera 3.0



'77 Carrera 3.0
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
  #45  
Speedster911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedster911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 576
Default

All of the cars you posted Bill are IMHO still sexy. The styling and colors rival anything created today

What tires is everyone using on US Carrera stock rims?
Speedster911 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the difference 1974 911 v 1974 Carrera?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: