Replacement for original oxygensensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 01:34 PM
lightning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement for original oxygensensor

Hi All,

Some days ago I replaced the catalyst with a cat bypass tube witch made some positive response on how the car acted. Unfortunately I had some mishap removing the oxygensensor from the catalyst. Even though the car only has some 35000 miles on the meter the sensor was stuck in the catalyst. I really tried to heat the surface around the sensor but I guess it had melted together with the catalyst. Some time later the sensor was out but with broken coils.

My question is, can I use some aftermarket sensor or even a sensor from another car with a 12 V three threaded sensor? I have found that Volvo uses a sensor called Bosch 0258003034 and the one from mine car is BOSCH 0258003024.

Best regards
Anders

Oh, ...my car is an -86 Carrera 3.2
Old 08-18-2003 | 02:38 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anders,

My understanding is other 3-wire O2 sensors will work in our cars. You may need to splice wires since the Porsche O2 sensor has a unique plug at the engine compartment end. Probably, the only difference in the two Bosch sensors you mentioned is the engine connectors.

Bruce
'84 Carrera 3.2
Old 08-18-2003 | 02:42 PM
lightning
Advanced

Thanks Bruce,

I've just found a part interchange list for O2 sensors and you are right it's the same sensor but probably a different plug.

Best regards
Anders
Old 08-18-2003 | 03:51 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Anders,

The Volvo 3 wire sensor will work perfectly, as the wires are longer than the Porsche ones The best way to do it is to disassemble the original Porsche connectors and desolder the old wires out of them and reuse the connectors. Cut the Volvo sensor wires to matching length, and solder those wires into the Porsche connectors and reassemble. A perfect factory replacement with no ugly wire splices.
Old 08-18-2003 | 07:14 PM
lightning
Advanced

Thanks Steve,

Just preparing my car for the new chip . Is it in the mail yet?

Best regards
Anders

Quick Reply: Replacement for original oxygensensor