Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

throttle linkage bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle linkage bushing question

The pedal feel on my 78sc has been complete crap. I assumed it was just the pedal bushing so I replaced it resulting in slightly better performance. Come to find out that the bushings on the bell crank on the top of the motor are gone. I can see the linkage and feel it but I have no idea how to access the are sufficiently enough to replace the bushing. This the one at the front of the motor, not the one at the throttle.

Has anyone done this seemingly minor repair without either dropping the motor or pulling out the airbox and intake?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year car? There are differences.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would much rather drop the engine than take the inlet off. Not sure if it can be done in the car.
With car ramps and a trolley jack I can drop the engine and gearbox in my 76 in less than an hour.
I know you said yours is a 78 but they both have CIS.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbickell
The pedal feel on my 78sc has been complete crap. I assumed it was just the pedal bushing so I replaced it resulting in slightly better performance. Come to find out that the bushings on the bell crank on the top of the motor are gone. I can see the linkage and feel it but I have no idea how to access the are sufficiently enough to replace the bushing. This the one at the front of the motor, not the one at the throttle.

Has anyone done this seemingly minor repair without either dropping the motor or pulling out the airbox and intake?

Thanks
Hi,

JMHO, but this job is FAR easier to do when the engine is lowered down (or removed) to permit unfettered access to the bellcrank. Further, this also allows you replace the engine sound pad if its in typical condition.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. If I have to lower the motor, I'll probably just have my mechanic do it. I've never done it before I don't want to ruin anything in the process.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

i did mine when i had the CIS out. This IMHO would be an excellent over the winter project for any CIS car .. takes about 45 minutes to take the CIS off. Then you can rebuild and reseal the eintire CIS as well a replace those bushings and the triangle of death area.

I lowered the motor about 3 inches.. just undid the back to engine mout bolts and slowly lowered the jack , if you are more comfortable undo the coupler. Worked great for me .

i put the linkage together wrong originally so those pics might not be right .. but i seem to remember fixing it without much bother.

Last edited by theiceman; 11-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: throttle linkage bushing question