Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fan switch between seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014 | 11:08 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Default Fan switch between seats

My car ('89 Silver Anny Edition) has the 3 speed fan switch between the seats. But, it does nothing? My understanding is that this switch operates fans/blowers in the footwells. So I have either blown those motors or a fuse/relay somewhere.

Both levers work the flapper boxes nicely and the blower motor in the engine compartment works well (to release the fine oil mist into the cabin). I just get nothing when changing the position of the switch between the seats.

The three fuses in the engine compartment are all good, and all fuses in the frunk are good (but I need a fuse diagram for the car).

It is getting cold in my neck of the woods and even though I don't drive this car frequently, I'd like to get this sorted out. All help appreciated.

Yes, I did quite a few searches on both "heater control" and "fuse diagram". Lots of good info but did not find an answer to this specific question.
Old 10-15-2014 | 11:13 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC, there are inline fuses on the footwell motors themselves. The motors age, become resistant to spin freely, then draw too much current and pop the fuse.

Open up the footwells and check the inline fuses on the motors.
Old 10-15-2014 | 11:30 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Yep, both inline fuses are popped. Will be removing and servicing both footwell blowers today and replacing the in-line fuses. Thanks for the help, Rennlist rocks.

Searching on "footwell blowers" yields a wealth of information, so I have a project for the day.
Old 10-15-2014 | 01:55 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think there is a good blower rebuild writeup on Pelican. I need to do mine, too
Old 10-15-2014 | 02:37 PM
sdoolin
Instructor

Yes, there is an excellent write up with photos on Pelican. I just completed removing, servicing, lubricating and replacing both of mine. With new in-line fuses both work like a charm now. Though switch setting 1 is almost a full stop/useless. They were quite difficult to turn by hand before clean and lube, spin freely after clean and lube.

That really didn't take long enough, so gotta find something else to service while she is up on the lift...
Old 10-15-2014 | 10:22 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdoolin
Yes, there is an excellent write up with photos on Pelican. I just completed removing, servicing, lubricating and replacing both of mine. With new in-line fuses both work like a charm now. Though switch setting 1 is almost a full stop/useless. They were quite difficult to turn by hand before clean and lube, spin freely after clean and lube.

That really didn't take long enough, so gotta find something else to service while she is up on the lift...
Check the CV boots and do an oil change... Oh, wait, that is on my list.....
Old 10-16-2014 | 10:07 AM
sdoolin
Instructor

Check the CV boots and do an oil change... Oh, wait, that is on my list.....
Funny you mention it, I found one torn CV boot, parts on order already...

Quick Reply: Fan switch between seats