Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Non sanctioned 911 fun runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Non sanctioned 911 fun runs

Some months ago I signed on to a fun run with other 911 guys in the Phx area...non PCA sanctioned, just a meet and countryside drive as we have great twisty 2 lane roads in the Az hills.
Had breakfast, chatted, really nice guys and some sweet old long hoods too.
We left town and drove north to our back hills route.
Speeds were not 'legal' but not crazy due to the distance you could see.
Stopped at a road junction and met some more folks, took car pics, fun time.
We took off and it was a freakin road race.
Now these roads are generally deserted, lightly used but they are just 2 lane with oncoming traffic and many blind corners.
We, as in stacked up, would hit 100 mph plus in places and I've got a guy right up my *** at 60-80 mph on corners...
Honestly, I got pissed off and just pulled over...this was childish stupid on a public road.
I know some of these guys had much better wheel skills than myself, this is true.
Still, I can't play like that on a public road and it makes me a tad upset as I think I'd enjoy a 'spirited' drive that had common sense involved.
My vent for the day.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you for taking the initiative to act responsibly and not be led by peer pressure.
I too, like a good spirited drive, but there are times and places and it sounds like you picked the right time to tactically withdraw.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

This is a timely post .. as our fall Fun run is coming up and we have had similar issues. ( we had 45 porsches last year )

Bottom line is you are going to get asses in every group and when testosterone is in the mix it ends badly.
The only way you can handle it is the way you did.

Thats why i only go on runs with people i know and trust.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Josh D
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat (Reiver),

As you know, I was not on that run that day, so I can't weigh in on what occured. I don't tailgate, at any speed, and wouldn't want it done to me either.

I have been on a few runs with at least one of the attendees of that run you were on and wouldn't hesitate to run with him again. All the ones I've been on with the "locals" have been really fun. I would describe the drving and speeds as "spirited" and not dangerous. I haven't seen the kind of speeds that you were describing on the previous runs (<100). I'm more of a fast corner guy than a top speed kinda of guy.

It's unfortunate that this has put a bad taste in your mouth. I think you should give it another shot, as each run seems to bring a new cast of characters along with some returners. It's also in your right to let everyone know prior to departing your feelings on speeds and especially tailgating. I bet you'll find some want to run up front, and others might want to run in the back.

Don't let the one bad experience keep you away.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Josh, I did not mention anyone or anybody on purpose....that was not the intent.
A 'general' comment for others experience.
I'm sure you do a good job but that deal did end that get together episode for me.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP I definitely know how you feel, and have also been on drives where "the push" was a little more aggressive than it needed to be. It definitely can take the fun out of a drive when the action in your mirror is suddenly fighting for attention with what's directly ahead.

I appreciate riding with the locals because they know where the traps are, and their exhaust notes typically give great audible queues to the road ahead, but when another driver gets up on your deck lid into the turns, it's a bit much.

I had a similar experience getting chased down the mountain by a turbo 996 once, and even though I may have been capable of going faster, it was definitely on the limit, with little to no room for error, cyclists, or a gazing tourist around every blind turn - and I couldn't understand why the guy needed to be right in my back seat the whole way down the hill.

When we got to the bottom he was all smiles and telling me what an awesome run it was, and I was actually furious that he was on my quad tips at every turn.

I think that just calling it out at the brief before every ride is a good practice, and agree you made the right play to pull over and let the pusher past.

As others have said, don't let that one experience spoil it for you. I've been with some groups that run a little fast, and others that run a little slow, and oddly enough for me, it's the GT3 guys who always seem to get it just right (!!!)

Thanks for calling it out. I'm sure for many readers just seeing this thread will be food for thought.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm still stunned that Clive thinks Canadias have testosterone. Speechless, actually.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I'm still stunned that Clive thinks Canadias have testosterone. Speechless, actually.
hmmmmmm.........

Quick Reply: Non sanctioned 911 fun runs