Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Burning smell and odometer stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:37 AM
popngear
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell and odometer stopped working

I don't know if these 2 issues are related, but during a leisurely drive, my dash vent started emitting an electronic burning smell. At one point it got quite intense but seemed to go away on its own. I also noticed today that the odometer no longer functions. I actually just acquired the car yesterday, and I am new to Porsches so I have no idea what these things could be at the moment. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 05:09 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year car would help. Several models had unfused circuits within the dash,...subsequently experiencing wiring meltdowns. Well-known mod exists to fuse this uninviting condition. Does everything else work within the dash? (such as dash lights, etc.).

As to odometer failure,...this is also a well-known problem due to a plastic gear breakage within the speedo gauge, although it may not be your source problem with the odo in light of your conditions.

I'd HIGHLY suggest to NOT apply power until you've had a chance to pull some gauges and have a good look at the dash wiring behind them.

Do let us know your car's year.

Best,

Doyle
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM
popngear
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 1987 3.2 Carrera. Everything is working fine on the dash as far as I can tell. I will have to drive it at least 30 minutes back to my garage before working on anything unfortunately. I actually already drove it again and there was no smoke or burnt smell.

Quick Reply: Burning smell and odometer stopped working