911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed: Thanks. I have never heard of this before on other cars. I would guess if the internal seal goes beyond the normal position in the master cylinder, the cylinder may not be "polished" from use and may therefore be rough enough to tear the seal, or, the seal is somehow is allowed to go beyond the cylinder's length which I would find surprising.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Or, the seals on the piston travel far enough to reach the portals that direct fluid to the calipers. The seal could tear if it traverses over this opening.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 85911
Ed: Thanks. I have never heard of this before on other cars. I would guess if the internal seal goes beyond the normal position in the master cylinder, the cylinder may not be "polished" from use and may therefore be rough enough to tear the seal, or, the seal is somehow is allowed to go beyond the cylinder's length which I would find surprising.
That is the typical culprit.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 PM
cashmancab
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanzonn
I finally got around to replacing (vs. rebuilding) the rear calipers on my '89 3.2. Now on to bleeding - I bought the Motive pressure bleeder, filled, connected, & pressurized it. Brake fluid promptly leaked out of an overflow tube from under the left front of the car. Nowhere in the directions or on any of the posts does it mention this. I've heard that you may have to pinch off the overflow line? Help is appreciated! Thanks, Greg
Next time, use the motive dry to only pressurized the system. You still have to pinch off the overflow line. Downside - you have to pressurized the system a couple times and refill the reservoir. It's no big deal. Upside - you will never have brake fluid pouring out of your car and there is zero clean up.

Quick Reply: Brake Overhaul